Thursday, February 16, 2012

Does not compute

So, I'm a bit of a competitive person.  I enjoy running, but at the end of the day, what really drives me is seeing how I measure up, against my past self and against others.

I've never really understood the joy in completing something just for the sake of completing it -- I'd rather break 40 for the 10K than finish a Tough Mudder or Ironman.  It's just how I'm wired.  Maybe it's a personal flaw; maybe it's just a "charming personal quirk."

I understand that others are different though, and that's fine too.  Some of us like brandy or scotch, some of use can't stand the taste of it.

But every once in a while, I see something.  Something odd.  Something that I simply canNOT comprehend the appeal of, to the point that it confuses me.

So, here you go.  The Color Run -- "a one of a kind experience that is less about speed and more about enjoying a color crazy day with your friends and family."


I.just.don't.get.it.

12 comments:

  1. see, and when i saw this a few weeks ago, i was like, CAN'T WAIT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing that gets me about the Tough Mudder, Warrior, and other obstacle races is that they're marketed toward people who find running boring. More often than not, they're also people who find running *hard* because they don't have the attention span or perseverance to stick with it till it gets easier. (Keep in mind I say this as a born quitter who has the attention span of a gnat and loves shiny things.)

    As for this, it's gimmicky, but most races are gimmicky in some way or another -- a central cause, a holiday theme, or really nice race premiums. I don't see this as over the top. But then again, EVERY race is a "color run" for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I with you, Cris, I'd rather get my teeth cleaned than do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'm having a problem with people wearing clean white clothing and bouncing with silly smiles on their face in sunshine. Goes against everything I've ever believed in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mean, those people should just go play paintball.

    The thing about some of the ridiculous-length distance races - marathon, half ironman (yes, I'm calling it ridiculous), ironman...double ironman - is that your first time out, you really DO have to just go out to finish and perform a well-executed race. You just don't know how you'll respond to that race. Then the second time around, you get to add time goals. You still have to have that initial "Dear God I hope I can get to the finish line" event.

    There is, however, nothing wrong with pushing your limits by pursuing high achievement in shorter races as opposed to pushing your limits by going farther. Is somebody who runs a 4 hour marathon a more impressive athlete than somebody who does a sub 15 5k? F*** no.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good, I'm glad it's not just me. A lot of my friends have been talking about this race and how "cool" and "fun" it looks. I don't get it either. However, there is a glow stick nighttime race being planned for Chicago. That does sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my co-workers is soooo excited about this! She sent me the link and wants me to do it. I'm with you, Cris-- not my thing! If I wanted to get all painty, I would play paintball.

    ReplyDelete
  8. come on, it's called fun! :P running can't be serious all the time! Maybe this is the California hippie in me coming out! I would run this slow, with friends, and for complete FUN! ;p
    wwwweeeeeeeeee........

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stumbled across your blog from another blog and had to comment here just because- that looks so fun! A friend posted this on FB and I think we're getting a group of friends together to do it.
    But then, I never "Race" I just run what I can.

    ReplyDelete