Monday, February 20, 2012

Training log - Week ending 2/19/12

This week was 64.5 miles of “real running” and 10 “miles” pool running, plus 2500 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

Felt much better this week – whatever bug I was fighting has subsided except for a bit of a mild sinus infection (TMI). And guilt – I apparently gave it to my boyfriend, who ended up getting hit much worse than myself, and also to at least one other person.

Was good enough by Saturday to set a 35 second 10K PR (race report) so woo. My running’s heading in the right direction, and I’m feeling good about what’s ahead.

In other news, I finally got into gear and added single legged deadlifts (light weight – 10-15 pounds) to my injury prevention routine. They’re not particularly draining, but they target all of my weak spots (glute engagement/stabilization; foot strength; ankle strength; one legged balance), and they’ve been recommended to me again and again. But, I continually find myself making excuses or running out of time and unable to do them (which is just an excuse – I have no trouble finding time for planks and abs exercises galore). I do know that the injury prevention exercises you keep dodging are generally the ones you need to be doing, so they’re now part of the routine.

Dailies

Monday: In the morning, 50 minutes of poolrunning for “5 miles” plus 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills, followed by upper body and core strength work, plus injury prevention exercises. Foam-rolling at night.

Tuesday: In the morning, 12 miles including a track workout of 8x800 (scheduled was 6-10x800). Ended up with 8, at 3:02, 2:56, 2:56, 2:56, 2:56, 2:55, 2:55, 2:51. The consistency of these (watchless) splits cracks me up. Was hoping to go for 10, but after the 8th, I was told I was done. OK. Better too few reps than too many. Followed with injury prevention work and 10 minutes of shakeout pool-running. Floor barre and foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: In the morning 10 miles easy (8:22 pace) followed by yoga. Later, 3.5 miles easy (7:52). Also foam-rolling/stretching.

Thursday: In the morning, 8.5 miles easy (8:08 pace) plus drills and strides, followed by upper body and core strength work, plus injury prevention exercises. Foam-rolling at night.

Friday: In the morning, swimming breathing drills. Foam-rolling and stretching, plus some injury prevention work, at night.

Saturday: In the morning, 3 mile warm-up, and then a 10K race in 40:18, followed by 4 mile cool-down. 20 minutes of recovery pool-running for “2 miles”; later very light upperbody and core strenthwork, plus lotsa foam-rolling, stretching, and injury prevention work.

Sunday: Long run of 16.5 miles – overall pace was 7:40, with moderate progression of a very slow start (9:21 pace) followed by two miles at 8:25 pace, next four at 7:47 pace, next eight at 7:27 pace, and final 1.5 at 6:58 pace. Followed with injury prevention work at gym, and then 20 minutes of easy pool-running for “2 miles”. Foam rolling and restorative yoga at night.

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic week-- especially that long run post 10K! That's awesome you are doing watchless 800's. Congrats again on the PR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. single leg deadlifts are my favorite glute activating exercise, although they make my adductors really tight if I'm not careful. and sometimes even if I am. but I love them. and, congrats on the 10K PR! I'm happy that you are pleased with how your running is going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before looking into the various abdominal exercise machines on offer you must set out a budget and stick to this as it is easy to get carried away and want the top of the range trainer with all the best features.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Single leg deadlifts are my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely should add single leg deadlifts to my regular routine. Need to get my glutes in shape!

    ReplyDelete