Sunday, February 12, 2012

Training log - Week ending 2/12/12

This week was 52.5 miles of “real running” and 13 “miles” pool running, plus 2000 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

This ended up being an unplanned cutback week, due to some stupid bug.  I showed up for Tuesday’s track workout planning on doing at least five 1200m repeats (workout was 4-6x1200m), and not making the connection between a) my irritable mood and headache, b) my achy upper body, and c) my congestion (which I thought was allergies).    As the workout continued on, I started working a lot harder than I should have.  About 200m into the 4th repeat I got really light headed, and just shut it down at that point since I was clearly off.  Headed straight from track to bed.  

Luckily, the worst of the bug only lasted about 24 hours.  However, some residual fatigue lingered through the week, so I eased up on things.   I cut out the weight-training, cut back the mileage, kept all the yoga to “restorative” or “gentle,” and rearranged my schedule to do whatever I could to get 9 hours+ of sleep each night.  By the weekend, I was feeling mostly recovered, so I went ahead and raced a 5K for the experience, and did OK (report).  Kept Sunday’s run to easy pace, rather than progression, just to make sure I didn’t force a relapse.    

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, 70 minutes of poolrunning for “7 miles”  followed by upper body and core strength work, plus injury prevention exercises.  Foam-rolling at night.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 6 miles including a track workout of 3x1200m (500m jog).  Splits were 4:35, 4:28, 4:26, and then done.   Skipped the cooldown jog, injury prevention work and recovery pool-running in favor of calling in sick to work and going back to bed. 

In the evening, foam rolling and stretching at home plus zinc and massive fluids. 

Wednesday:   In the morning, slept in and then ran easy.  11 miles easy (7:54 pace).  Gentle yoga and foam rolling at night. 

Thursday:   In the morning, 10 miles easy (8:00 pace) plus drills and strides.    Pilates and foam-rolling at night.

Friday:  In the morning, swimming breathing drills.  Foam-rolling and stretching, plus some injury prevention work, at night.

Saturday:   In the morning, 3.5 mile warm-up, and then a 5K race in 19:43, followed by 1.5 mile cool-down.  30 minutes of recovery pool-running for “3 miles”; foam-rolling at night.

Sunday:   A watchless long run at easy pace, so distance and time are approximations (I’m guessing 17.5 at 7:55 pace).  My Garmin’s battery only had 20 minutes left, so I ended up running watchless for the most part, only turning it on at the end to time the final 2 miles to get some sense of pace (7:37 for those).   I meant to do 16 at easy pace, but got diverted from my normal loop by some police activity; when I mapped out my run at home later, I discovered that my altered course ended up taking a bit over a mile longer.  Oops.
 
Followed with injury prevention work at gym, and then 30 minutes of easy pool-running for “3 miles."   Foam rolling and restorative yoga at night.

3 comments:

  1. The idea requires that you carry out a stabilization and ab flexing combination abdominal exercise then a fatigue work out then a density workout. It ends having a stabilization workout and bridges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time reading your blog after googling the GW 10K and having your blog as my first result. I will be adding this to my other local runner reads. You can check out my blog at runprovidence.blogspot. I would say that the course on Saturday was very very flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm adding you as well.

      I think we can disagree. Definitely not a HARD course, and a fairly fast one, but between the overpass and the climb in mile 3, I think it's over generous to call it "FLAT" :). But I also appreciate being called on my bullshit (seriously). :D

      Delete