Sunday, May 13, 2012

Training log - Week ending 5/13/12

This week was 67 miles of “real running” and 14 “miles” pool running, plus 2000 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

This week was dedicated to a) recovery from Broad Street and b) recovery in general. I’m basically taking the next few weeks as a break of sorts – I’m still planning on doing workouts, but I’m keeping them very relaxed and social, and not forcing myself to do anything I don’t feel like doing (this also means that if I wake up and decide I don’t feel like running, I won’t – but that hasn’t happened). 

Basically, mental recovery. No pressure running, just fun (and workouts with my teammates ARE fun, so I don’t want to miss them).

I’m pretty much done with racing for the Spring – I’ve accomplished everything I wanted to, and had some great races. I also feel that I’ve developed a lot as a runner, mentally as well as physically, and I’m actually prouder of that then I am of any of my races. So, now to relax and recharge.

This summer, I’m going to focus on track race miles as a change of pace (pun intended). There’s a few reasons for this – for one, I don’t particularly enjoy racing long distance in heat and humidity, and my breathing issues can sometimes limit me in those conditions, resulting in frustration – I don’t face the same issues in races that take (hopefully) well under 6 minutes. Additionally, running short and fast will make the slower paces of my longer distance races feel easy by comparison. And… I seem to be VERY good at holding my speed over longer distances – I can’t help but think that developing my top end speed will help me at all distances. And, it will be fun.


Dailies  

Monday: In the morning, 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills and 40 minutes of easy poolrunning for “4 miles,” and then some light weight lifting and injury prevention work (also some quick foam-rolling). Attended injury prevention clinic at Road Runner Sports at night.  

Tuesday: In the morning, 12 miles, including an abbreviated track workout of 2000m, 1600m, and then 6x200m. Splits were 7:40 for the 2000m and 6:01 for the 1600m; the 200m were untimed per coach’s orders. Followed with injury prevention work and then 15 minutes of shake out pool-running for “1.5 miles”. Foam rolling at night.  

Wednesday: In the morning, 9 miles easy (7:51 pace) followed by a yoga class. Later, 6 miles easy (7:43 pace). Foam rolling and stretching at night.  

Thursday: In the morning, strength training and injury prevention exercises, followed by 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills and 45 minutes of easy poolrunning for “4.5 miles.” Foam rolling and stretching at night.  

Friday: In the morning, 12.5 miles, including a short 5K tempo in 19:43 (6:27, 6:18, 6:14, and then 44 seconds). Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes of shakeout pool-running. Pilates plus foam-rolling and stretching at night.  

Saturday: In the morning, 11 miles very easy (8:10 pace) plus drills and strides. Upper body strengthwork, injury prevention work, and foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday: A relaxed progressive 16.5 miles (averaged 7:41 pace, with first 3 miles at 8:29 pace, 7:49 for next 3, 7:27 for next 7 miles, 7:11 pace for last 3). Followed with injury prevention work and then 20 minutes of shakeout pool-running. Yoga and foam rolling are tonight.

4 comments:

  1. You really have progressed so much as a runner both physically and mentally. I've loved watching you grow! I really like your approach to the summer and I can't wait to see you kick butt at some track races!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool on the track races. That's gonna send your racing through the roof!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice plan. I'm anxious to read how your track workout & races go. Short distances are very tough for me but I love reading about the process/training/etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to focus on the short and fast now that the heat and humidity of summer are here. Congrats on reaching your Spring racing goals. That's got to be satisfying!

    ReplyDelete