Monday, May 28, 2012

Training log - week ending 5/27/12

This week was 49 miles of “real running” and “15 miles” pool running, plus 2250 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

So, my “break month” is almost to an end. The last 3 weeks have been a mental break – I’ve been doing workouts and runs, but deliberately trying not to dig deep for them, and also not to show up for anything I didn’t want to do.

Of course, since I really like training, I ended up making it to every single workout anyway. So now I’m mentally refreshed, and ready to go. But since I didn’t take a slew of non-running days during my mental break (didn’t want to, and the point was to do whatever I wanted), I’m now thinking I should force myself to take a few.

So that’s my plan for this week. I’ll race a mile on Monday for fun (race report to come), and then take the rest of the week as no-running (or as close to it as I can muster) before doing Race for the Cure on Saturday as a fun run. Then an easy run on Sunday, and back into “normal” training on Monday (first week of June).

Other thing of note for the week was my bout of food poisoning on Tuesday night. In a nutshell, this is the second time I’ve made dinner using clams from a can, and the second time I’ve gotten sick about 6 hours after. I’m NEVER eating canned clams again. In fact, I don’t think I’m ever eating shellfish again.

Funny thing was, it cleared pretty quickly. I had every intention of taking Wednesday off, but ended up feeling good enough to run anyway. Only lingering effect was some nausea and heartburn that lasted into the weekend. But no, never eating clams again.

Dailies  

Monday: In the morning, 70 minutes of easy poolrunning for “7 miles,” and then weight lifting and injury prevention work (also some quick foam-rolling). Foam rolling and stretching at night.

Tuesday: In the morning, 12 miles, including a track workout of two sets of 1600m, 800m; followed by 4x200m. Splits were 6:01, 2:57, 5:57, 2:48, and then the 200's in 37, 38, 39, 37. Followed with injury prevention work and then 20 minutes of shake out pool-running for “2 miles.” Floor barre and foam rolling at night.  

Wednesday: In the morning, 10.5 miles easy (8:10 pace) followed by a yoga class. Later, 3.5 miles easy (7:49 pace). Foam rolling and stretching at night.  

Thursday: In the morning, strength training and injury prevention exercises, followed by 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills and 45 minutes of easy poolrunning for “4.5 miles.” Foam rolling and stretching at night.

Friday: In the morning, 11.5 miles, including a 5K tempo in 20:06 (6:36, 6:27, 6:21, and 42 for final bit - 6:29 pace). Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes of shakeout pool-running. Pilates plus foam-rolling and stretching at night.  

Saturday: In the morning, 11.5 miles aerobic (7:50 pace average, but I can’t call easy, simply because we got too dehydrated) plus some drills pre-run. Foam rolling in the afternoon, plus an ice bath.  

Sunday: 1250 yards of swimming breathing drills plus injury prevention work.  Foam rolling and stretching in the afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of the mental break! Nice time and pacing on that 5K tempo. Sorry about the food poisoning! I was in the same boat on Sunday and it was not fun.

    ReplyDelete