Sunday, May 20, 2012

Training log - Week ending 5/20/12

This week was 69 miles of “real running” and 14 “miles” pool running, plus 2500 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

This was a good basic training week. DC heat and humidity is starting to hit – it was really bad on Tuesday/Wednesday, and then eased up. But it will be back. I’ve been forcing myself to wear a long sleeve t-shirt on all my runs, simply to force some heat acclimation. But, as of today, I’m declaring it sports-bra weather – I’m about as acclimated as I’m going to get, and the weather will do the acclimation work for me from here.  The next two weeks will be cutbacks, as I’m racing both weekends, and also am taking a light week this week both to force myself to rest and for social obligations.

On Memorial Day, I’m doing my first road mile race, which will be fun. Totally not my focus distance, so just a chance to play with something different. Then the weekend after that is either the “Race for the Cure 5K” or a track mile – which one depends on the weather. I’m leaning towards the track mile, but will do the 5K if we get a break in the weather and I feel like it.

Only other thing of note is the new addition to my injury prevention routine. Having mastered single leg deadlifts, I’m now adding in balancing on one leg with my eyes closed, having been convinced of the value. I’ve gotten it to 25 very tentative seconds… I’ll be pretty proud of myself when I master this for a full minute.

And yes, easiest injury prevention drill ever , seriously. You can do this at any time of day, in nearly any location, and it takes very little time. I’m doing 8 reps of 25 seconds each; with 5 seconds to swap legs (it’s programmed into my Garmin). Takes a total of 4 minutes. No excuses.

Dailies

Monday: In the morning, 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills and 50 minutes of easy poolrunning for “5 miles,” and then weight lifting and injury prevention work (also some quick foam-rolling). Foam rolling and stretching at night.

Tuesday: In the morning, 12 miles, including a track workout of two sets of 1200, 800, 400. Splits were 4:34, 3:00, 1:25, 4:29, 2:59, 1:25 (ridiculously humid, and I just could never catch my breath, so no negative splitting here). Followed with injury prevention work and then 10 minutes of shake out pool-running for “1.5 miles”. Floor barre and foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: In the morning, 10 miles easy (7:52 pace) followed by a yoga class. Later, 5 miles easy (7:43 pace) plus some drills. Got a sports massage at night.

Thursday: In the morning, strength training and injury prevention exercises, followed by 1500 yards of swimming breathing drills and 40 minutes of easy poolrunning for “4 miles.” Foam rolling and stretching at night.

Friday: In the morning, 12 miles, including a 3.5 mile tempo in 22:25 (6:25, 6:25, 6:24, and 3:11 for extra half mile – 6:27 pace). Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes of shakeout pool-running. Pilates plus foam-rolling and stretching at night.

Saturday: In the morning, 13 miles very easy (7:44 pace) plus drills and strides. Upper body strengthwork, injury prevention work, and foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday: A progressive long run of 16.5 miles - averaged 7:30 pace, with first 3 miles at 8:27 pace, 7:40 for next 7.5, 6:59 for next 4 miles, and 6:36 pace for last 2. Followed with injury prevention work and then 20 minutes of shakeout pool-running. Yoga and foam rolling are tonight.

5 comments:

  1. Its nice that you share the watchless racing!! I have been racing without a watch for a lot of time and its great, you dont have to worry about splits if the condition are not in your favor, nor limit yourself if you are in better shape than presumed!! Would you race without a watch( or in your case, not analize the garmin data during the race) even in a marathon?

    For how long have you been following this approach? What is your favorite thing about the watchless racing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - yes, I do race all my races watchless, and will race my marathon that way unless my coach tells me otherwise. I wrote a post on watchless racing here: http://wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com/2011/11/who-watches-watchless.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read the article, very nice and pretty much sums up the reason I do the same!! Any races coming up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gonna have to trying the balancing on one leg thing. . . Nice week, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The road mile sounds like it will be fun. I'd consider signing up if I'd run more than twice since my half. The last thing I need is to attempt to run as fast as possible. Guaranteed injury.

    ReplyDelete