Sunday, September 2, 2012

Training log - Week ending 9/2/2012


This week was 64 miles of “real running” and 10 “miles” pool running, plus 1650 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.  

This was a cut-back week – after two weeks of decently high mileage and good workouts, it was time to absorb my training, and a 5K race provided the perfect excuse to rest up.   Cancelled classes and pools that were unexpectedly closed helped me to get a bit extra rest – not a bad thing.

The 5K was simultaneously a bit disappointing and a confidenceboost.  I didn’t run the time I think I’m currently capable of running for 5K.  On the other hand, I did PR.  So, on the whole, a confidence boost.  And I’ve got the entire fall to show my stuff.

Just like this spring, I’m feeling good about my running, and looking forward to a bunch of opportunities to run good races this fall.  So I’m returning to the strategy that served me so well this spring, namely:

“So, (I’m) in good shape. And so the temptation to try to top it off with one or two great workouts and pull out a bit more improvement. Nope. Not gonna do it this time. I’ve got a whole series of races I want to do … and I’m not going to risk any tweaks or overtraining. … I’m in a really good place with my racing season about to start, and at this point my priority is NOT SCREWING IT UP rather than increasing fitness.”

[from this blog, back in March]

Big priority is saving the race efforts for race days, not workouts, and prioritizing injury prevention and avoidance of overtraining.  I’m fit and ready to run well – I just need to not self-sabotage.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, injury prevention stuff and 650 yards of swimming breathing drills (pool closed early on me).   3.5 easy miles (8:12 pace) at night, followed by foam rolling.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 14 miles, including a track pyramid workout of 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, 800, 400.  Splits were 89, 2:54, 4:22, 5:48, 4:22, 2:47, and 77.   Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes of easy pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:   11 miles very easy (8:37), followed by upper body strength work.  Got a massage at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, 6.5 miles of running, most at easy pace, but with a 500m pick-up at 5K pace feel (ended up being 6:05 pace) followed by 20 minutes of easy pool-running for “2 miles.”  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  In the morning, 30 minutes of very easy pool-running for “3 miles” and then 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills.  In the evening, 2.5 miles very easy (8:20 pace) plus foam rolling and stretching.

Saturday:   In the morning, 3 miles very easy (8:07 pace) and then a 5K race in 19:10, followed by 4 miles cooldown, and then 20 minutes of easy pool-running.   Upper body strength work plus injury prevention stuff and foam-rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:   In the morning, a moderately progressive long run of 16 miles, split as first 4.5 at 8:34 pace, next 6 at 7:48, last 5.5 at 7:19 pace.  Was very careful to keep this one in check, because of the humidity and the fact I’d raced yesterday (see comment above about not self-sabotaging).   Followed with injury prevention work and 15 minutes of shakeout pool-running.  Yoga and foam rolling at night.

1 comment:

  1. I love this approach! You are in such a good spot. Just keep it that way. The only job is to not do anything foolish. I think you will have a lot of success if you follow this.

    ReplyDelete