Monday, September 24, 2012

Training log - Week ending 9/23/12



This week was 70 miles of “real running” and 19 “miles” pool running, plus 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.  

Unplanned slight cutback week.  I felt lousy, and it just didn’t make sense to force my normal routine – when you’re in a hole, stop digging.  So I cut back some, and tried to get some extra rest any chance I could get.   I don’t feel horrible/can’tdragmyselfouttabed, just “NQR” as is sometimes said with horses – “not quite right.”  Bitchwhinemoanwashrinserepeat.

Though I felt off, I still raced a 10K on Saturday, just for the hell of it, and was glad I did.  Because I raced on Saturday, we changed my Sunday run from the scheduled 16 with 4x2 miles at marathon pace to just “16+ miles at easy pace.”  (This after a proposed 20 miler that I uncharacteristically nixed.  I’m usually up for a 20 miler whenever it’s an option, but I just didn’t feel up to it).  As it turns out, after 16.5 miles at easy pace I was feeling a bit better on a gorgeous day, so I added a few more miles for the heckuvit.  Perfect weather and good running friends do a lot for the mind and the body.

As of Monday, I’m still feeling off, but better than last week, so hopefully whatever this funk is is finally passing.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, 60 minutes of easy pool-running for “6 miles”.  2 easy miles (8:20 pace) and foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 10.5 miles including a pyramid track workout of 400, 800, 1200, 1200, 800, 400 – splits of 85, 2:51, 4:28, 4:24, 2:50, 79.  1200s were tough.  Followed with injury prevention work and 15 minutes of easy pool-running.  4 easy miles (8:02 pace) at midday and foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:   10.5 miles easy (7:58 pace) plus upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work.  Yoga and foam rolling at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, 65 minutes of easy pool-running for “6.5 miles.”   Foam rolling in the afternoon, and then 7 miles, including a mile pick-up at 6:17 pace.

Friday:  In the morning, 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills and 30 minutes of easy pool-running for “3 miles.”  Followed with injury prevention work.  4 easy miles (8:02 pace) plus foam-rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday:   In the morning, 12.5 miles, including 3.25 mile warm-up, 10K race in 39:42, and 3 mile cool-down.  In the afternoon, some light weight training and injury prevention work, plus foam-rolling and an ice bath.   

Sunday:   In the morning, 19.5 miles as a very easy slight progression – 8:08 pace overall, split as 8:34 pace for first 10.5 miles, 7:54 for next 6.5 miles, and then 7:05 for last 2.5.  Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes of shakeout pool-running.  Yoga and foam rolling at night.

1 comment:

  1. Nice recap. Glad you pulled back when you need to. I love the NQR phrase!

    ReplyDelete