Sunday, December 30, 2012

Training log - week ending 12/30/12

This week was 54 miles of “real running” and 11 “miles” pool running, plus 1600 meters of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

And, the last week of 2012 is in the books.  Overall, a pretty good year, though the first half was better than September and beyond, but that's for another post. 

This week was a bit of a cutback, due to both holiday interruptions and the fact that I'm racing on Monday.   Plus, more miles aren't always better. 

One of my big goals for this training cycle is to err on the side of underdoing (since my natural tendency is to overdo).  If I think I need a rest day, I'll take it.  And workouts are staying very restrained.  If my coach thinks I need to start working harder, I will.  But in the absence of instruction to that effect, I'm just gonna chill.  Call it an experiment for this training cycle.

Since I've got a rust-buster race on Monday, my coach and I decided that it was best to skip my tempo workout this week, and sub in a Friday long run instead, which made Sunday a rest day, and Sunday morning surprisingly lazy and luxurious.  I'd completely forgotten that normal people don't usually set alarms for Sunday morning.  But, in the end, I really missed running.

I'm psyched to race on Monday.  It's been too long.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, 70 minutes of easy pool-running for “7 miles.”   Hot yoga and foam rolling in the afternoon.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 10 miles very easy (8:16 pace), followed by plus some upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work.   Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:   In the morning, 12 miles including a workout of 7 hill repeats – nonstop circuit of up a hill for about 2 minutes, a 90 second easy jog, a stride, and then some more easy jogging to the bottom (whole circuit takes ~5 minutes). Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes of shake out pool-running. Foam rolling at night.  
Thursday:   In the morning, 4 miles very easy (8:25 pace) plus some upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night. 

Friday:  17 miles progression averaging 7:46 pace, split as 8:33 for first 6, next 5 at 7:36, last 6 at 7:00.   Followed with 20 minutes of shakeout pool-running.   Pilates and foam-rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday:   In the morning, 10.5 miles easy (8:11 pace).  Upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work plus foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:   1600 meters of swimming breathing drills in the afternoon, and foam rolling at night.

3 comments:

  1. It will be great to see you this afternoon! It's always interesting to tweak the training approach and see what happens! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete