Monday, December 10, 2012

Training log - Week ending 12/9/12

This week was 51.5 miles of “real running” plus 10 running equivalents on the arc-trainer (call it 61.5 miles total), and then 12 “miles” pool running and 2250 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.  
Still ramping up, carefully and cautiously.  I did a "test workout" on Tuesday; just 2x1600 at tempo pace.  Feet held up, so yay.  Still some tightness and occasional soreness in one or both, but I've been told that I'm at the point where I need to "push the foot to complete the healing process" (exact quote).  So on with the careful building of the mileage and the workouts.  I have been ORDERED to try tomorrow's hill workout - not optional.

I've been working with Capital Rehab on a longer term issue -- for many many years (since at least when I was a teenager), I've had a weird twisting issue - I've got pretty good flexibility in general, with one exception: I have a limited ability to twist to the left.   It doesn't hurt, I just get "stuck" and can't twist.  I also get the sensation from time to time that I'm running "crooked", and my left leg is both weaker and less flexible than the right.  I suspect that this has contributed to my past injuries.  Plus, I think if I was able to run straight I'd be a lot faster.

I've discussed with several experts in the fast, and done various exercises, but no real change.  So, when I took my "post-not-really-marathon" break this year, I decided to try fixing this again -- this time reaching out to Capital Rehab.  (I waited until I was on break because I didn't want to start messing with my body's biomechanics while in full training - that's a recipe for injury).

And, whadyaknow, it's working.  The issue was diagnosed as a lack of flexibility in my thoracic spine - that locks, limiting my rotation, and also putting excess stress on my lumbar spine (where I've had long standing problems).  So, I've been doing my mobilization exercises, with good results.  I'm close to equal rotation to the left and right now, which is pretty cool.  I'll be interested to see how this translates to my running.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, 65 minutes of easy pool-running for “6.5 miles,” and some upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 11 miles on the track including a test workout of 2x1600 at tempo pace (split as 6:32 and 6:21). Then injury prevention work and 20 minutes shakeout pool-running.   Floor barre and foam rolling at night. 

Wednesday:   In the morning, 9.5 miles very easy (8:33 pace) followed by 1750 yards of swimming breathing drills.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, "10 miles" on the arc-trainer, including a tempo workout of "20 minutes, 15 minutes, 10 minutes" at tempo effort with 2:30 recovery.  Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes easy pool-running.  Foam-rolling and yoga in the afternoon.

Friday:  In the morning, 8 miles easy (8:00 pace) followed by injury prevention work and strength training.   Foam rolling at night.  

Saturday:   In the morning, 12 miles easy (7:52 pace) plus injury prevention work, and 15 minutes easy pool-running (plus 500m swimming for fun).   Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:   In the morning, an intermittent 11 miles (cheering at a race, plus some running before and after).   Hot yoga and foam rolling at night.

4 comments:

  1. I also have thoracic spin mobility problems, and was skeptical when told to work on that to fix my left hip. And yep...it helped. Silly bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the foot is feeling better. Sounds like a very smart ramp up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, I hadn't heard about this issue before. I wonder if Bikram yoga helps that?

    It was the thing that fixed my bulging disc issues, which I'd apparently had symptoms from on my right side, for years. Do we all have these imbalances lurking? I am beginning to believe we do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hurray for objective findings! I'm sure it'll translate to the run. Your training rocks!

    ReplyDelete