Monday, January 7, 2013

Training log - Week ending 1/06/13

This week was 72 miles of “real running” and 10 “miles” pool running, plus 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

Another week in the books.  A bit of an odd week, in that I raced a 10K on Monday.  Big lesson for the week - if you race and then go out and have a decently late night, failing to drink enough water in the process (not my fault - it was like pulling teeth to get a bottle of water at the club) you'll end up with a hangover the next day, despite having drunk nothing more than a thimble's worth of champagne.

So not fair.  Took me two days to recover.

The race itself was fun.  I'm not in peak shape yet and went out too fast, but that's exactly why I did it.  Racing is a skill that needs to be practised, and I was rusty.  And I think you get a boost in both fitness and enthusiasm from racing - isn't that why we train, after all?

Dailies


Monday:   Race a 10K in the afternoon, so 10 miles, including warm-up, race (40:58 for something a bit longer than 10K), and cool-down.  Followed with 20 minutes of shakeout pool-running for “2 miles” and some foamrolling.

Tuesday:  11 miles at 8:20 pace, followed by some upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work.   Foam rolling at night.  

Wednesday:   In the morning, 7 miles very easy (10:08 pace), followed by yoga.   Later, another 5 miles easy (7:50).   Sports massage at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work plus 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills and 30 minutes of pool-running for "3 miles."  Foam rolling at night. 

Friday:  In the morning, 12 miles, including a tempo workout of 2x3200m plus 1600m (800m recovery between each) - splits were 12:31 (6:19/6:12), 12:24 (6:15/6:09) and 6:07.  Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes shakeout pool-running for "2 miles."  Pilates and foam-rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday:   In the morning, 11 miles easy (8:10 pace).  Upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work plus foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:   In the morning, 16 miles progression averaging 7:32 pace, split as first 4.5 at 8:08 pace, next 3.5 at 7:45, next 3 at 7:25, and last 5 at 6:53.  Followed with injury prevention work and 30 minutes of shakeout pool-running for "3 miles."   Yoga and foam rolling at night.

2 comments:

  1. The same thing happened to me for two days post 10K. I didn't hydrate enough afterwards and didn't get enough sleep. Lessons learned, right!? I find it interesting that your "easy" pace varies from 7:50 to 10:00. Just shows that you know how to listen to your body!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good job! I love your training logs. If you're ever looking for a blog topic I'd love to hear what supplements and food you eat. I'm trying hard to focus on nutrition. All my guy friends drink beer and run fast. That would not work for me. lol!

    ReplyDelete