Monday, January 21, 2013

Training log - week ending 1/20/13

This week was 57.5 miles of “real running” and 3 “miles” pool running, plus 1500 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.
This week was spent fighting off the same bug that caused me to miss last weekend's long run. I'm not horribly sick; it's just one of those things that lingers, fades away, and then flares again.  I went back and forth on whether to show up for Tuesday's hills, and ended up giving it a shot - didn't feel great at the end, but didn't feel horrible.  By Thursday, I was feeling a bit better, and then a short workout followed immediately by a 5 hour plane flight to Arizona on Friday pushed me into a moderate relapse.  Not bad enough not to race (heck, I was there anyway), so race I did.  

I was happy with the race overall and how I executed it.  I wish I was a bit more fit (and I really wish I hadn't been fighting this head cold) -- I was just a bit weak and lacking in stamina, so unable to take advantage of the great course and weather.  But that's fine.  It will come.  And there will always be other races with great weather and fast courses - that's the great thing about running.

My coach has ordered me to take several days very easy.  No argument here - the flight back post race wasn't much fun either. 

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, 8 miles easy (8:14 pace) plus some light injury prevention work.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 12.5 miles, including a workout of 6 hill repeats – nonstop circuit of up a hill for about 2 minutes, a 90 second easy jog, a stride, and then some more easy jogging to the bottom (whole circuit takes ~5 minutes). Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes of shake out pool-running.  Floor barre and foam rolling at night.   

Wednesday:   In the morning, 9 miles very easy, (8:24 pace) followed by yoga.  Later, 5.5 miles easy (7:56 pace).  Also foam rolling in the evening.
   
Thursday:   In the morning, upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work plus 1500 yards of swimming breathing drills.  Foam rolling at night. 

Friday:  In the morning, 7 miles, including a 1600m pick-up (6:01 - too fast). Then a plane flight to Phoenix.

Saturday:  Off.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:   2 miles warm-up and then half-marathon in 1:29:00, followed by flying back to DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment