Monday, January 28, 2013

Training log - Week ending 1/27/13



This week was 73.5 miles of “real running” plus 14 “miles” pool running -- training log is here.  

Interesting week.  I didn’t feel great at the beginning of the week due to the last bits of my head cold, plus some fatigue from the Sunday race.  But by Wednesday I was finally feeling like myself again.  Just in time for a bit of wintry weather to hit DC on Thursday.  Nothing too horrible, just enough to make the track and trails too slick for Friday’s scheduled tempo.

From Google street view; originally posted at beyonddc.com
So, we relocated the workout to under the Whitehurst Freeway.   For those of you not from DC, the Whitehurst Freeway is an elevated highway in Georgetown, a bit less than a mile in length.  There’s a local road under it that’s shielded from the elements and can serve as a running route in a pinch.  That became our “track” as we ran back and forth between two intersections.   Run to the cross walk, turn 180, run back.  Repeat.

It was good for me, if not my favorite workout.  I’m definitely a rhythm runner – I pick up a pace and just gradually build speed with each lap, running on momentum.  I find that hairpin turns break up that groove and my zen and annoy me.  This was an opportunity to work on holding an even effort while having to continually stop and start – good practice.

Sunday’s long run was pretty cool.  I don’t usually get concerned about long runs – they tend to be the easiest workout of the week by far for me.  But I had a bit of trepidation this time.  I was scheduled for 20-22 miles, but had missed the previous week’s 16 miler (in Arizona), as well as the 18-20 miler the week before that (sick).  I had run 16 three weeks back, but that seemed to be in the distant past, and from 16-17 to 21 is a big jump.  But nothing to do except to do it, so to speak.  And it went very well – better than I possibly hoped it could.  21 miles felt easy, and the last two miles I dropped significantly below marathon pace without any intention of doing so – just couldn’t seem to slow down.    Big confidence boost.  So yay.  And onward.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, 40 minutes of easy pool-running for “4 miles.”   Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  12 miles easy (8:02) in the morning; foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:   In the morning, 9 miles very easy (8:37 pace) followed by yoga.  Later did another 6.5 miles easy (7:59).  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, 60 minutes of easy pool-running for “6 miles,” followed by upper body strength training and some injury prevention work.   Foam-rolling at night.

Friday:  In the morning, 13 miles, including a tempo workout of a bit over 27 minutes at tempo effort.  Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes shakeout pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:   In the morning, 12 miles easy (8:02 pace).  Foam-rolling, injury prevention work, and strength-training in the afternoon.

Sunday:   In the morning, 21 miles progression style, averaging 7:37.  It broke down as 8:21 for first 7, 7:40 for next 3.5, 7:22 for next 3.5, 7:04 for next 5, and 6:47 for last 2 miles.  Followed with 20 minutes shakeout pool-running.  Yoga and foam rolling at night.

2 comments:

  1. Nice week! Sounds like a fantastic long run to top the whole thing off. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice track. And even nicer 21-miler.

    ReplyDelete