Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Training log - week ending 10/20/13

This week was 12 miles of “real running” and 12,000 yards of swimming  -- training log is here.  

And...another setback.  My left hammy/butt was no longer feeling like sciatica (for one thing, my left foot wasn't cramping), but was still hurting, so I went back to my orthopedist to request an MRI.  Got it on Friday and....

"There is edema within the left hamstring tendon origin with trace fluid signal intensity
at the attachment to the ischial tuberosity. There is also mild adjacent soft tissue edema.
Findings are compatible with a low­grade partial tear."

Oops.

Brian made sure I was aware that
my pelvis was "grossly unremarkable."
Well, there goes my self-esteem....
[there was also some mention of problems with my right groin - an osteitis pubis/adductor issue.  That's old news. My right groin and I reached a truce about 2 years ago.  I promised to avoid running fast downhill for extended periods of time, especially on the Capital Crescent; in exchange it would stop complaining.  And we've both kept to that promise.]


Despite the ominous word "tear", there's a lot of evidence that this isn't that bad, and was caught early.  It's always good to see words like "minimal," "mild," and "low grade."  Plus according to the report the tear itself wasn't visible on the MRI, it's just a conclusion based on what the surrounding tissue is like.

But, my plan of action is pretty clear.  I was never going to run a spectacular Richmond half marathon anyway, given that it's a month away, and I'm not really in great shape.  So better to shut things down completely, practice swimming for a bit while rehabbing.  And working on total body strength and functional fitness so that when I'm ready to go, I'm REALLY ready to go. 

It's not giving up.  It's moving forward.

In the meantime, I've got plenty of stuff the next few weeks to occupy myself.  Between Halloween festivities, watching indoors fanatically, cheering for friends at their fall marathons, and rock concerts, I'll be busy.  Oh, and work.  And rehab - my PT said he was OK with a week or so not swimming, but then wants me to start up with gentle jogging again.

Hard to call it a bad week when I got to see Trent et al
for the 12th, 13th, or 14th time (I've lost count). 
You haven't lived until you've seen "March of the Pigs" performed live.



Dailies

Monday:  
In the morning, injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 
In the morning, injury prevention work and then 2500 yards of swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday
:   In the morning, upper body strength work, yoga, and 3000 yards of swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:  
In the morning, 7.5 miles easy,  followed by 1000 yards of swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 
In the morning, 4.5 miles very easy, and then an MRI.    NIN at night.

Saturday:  
In the morning, upper body weights and injury prevention work, followed by 3000 yards of swimming.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:  
In the morning (after cheering at Army 10 miler) lower body weights and injury prevention work, and then 2500 yards of swimming.  Restorative yoga and foam rolling at night.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry I couldn't talk longer on Sunday. It was great to see you and thanks for cheering. I am sorry you are still dealing with this...so annoying. I like your attitude though. Keep your chin up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, suck suck suck. Get your body healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, been lurking on your blog for quite awhile (friend of sarah b. in VA). I had PRP on my Achilles - cost me big bucks but it didn't work. hopefully yours will. yours sounds different from my procedure. I was wondering if I might ask you a question about stress fracture. fractured cuboid bone 2 weeks ago - must be small as it wasn't seen on xray and needed two viewers of mri to find it. I am in a boot now. i read that it took you 7 weeks to get healed (with bone growth stimulator). i can't afford one currently and doubt insurance co. will cover. i am aqua jogging and swimming though finding it difficult not to use that foot to push off from the wall. i am afraid to elliptical or cycle because i don't want to upset any healing. could you give me some advice to any thing that you did to hasten healing. thanks. good luck with PRP and let us know how you make out.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete