Monday, October 7, 2013

Training log - Week ending 10/6/13

This week was 42 miles of “real running” and 8500 yards of swimming (and a lotta stepmilling) -- training log is here.  

Still ramping back up.  I carefully tested my foot on a track workout this week - doing 4x1200, but keeping the pace very controlled.   Speed was OK, but the repeated turning wasn't - so I'm continuing to do faster running, but keeping it to the trails.  Which is sad - I miss my teammates.  But heck, solo workouts on the trails are better than solo workouts on the stepmill or in the pool.

Of course, with the government shutdown hitting DC pretty hard, I'm arguably breaking the law by running on the trails....oh well.

This was also my first week of trying to do yoga as much as reasonably feasible, to keep my chassis strong, so to speak.  I'm alternating between two studios - the first, Down Dog, offers what is essentially a boot camp/yoga hybrid.  It's about 60-90 minutes of a fast paced series of yoga poses.  It's great for me, in that the sequence (which really doesn't vary much between classes) covers everything I need to hit - bridges, lunges, side planks, one legged balance poses. 

However, the Down Dog classes are also a bit intense, and don't really work as a recovery workout.  So I'm balancing them out with more traditional yoga classes at Tranquil Space.  Tranquil Space offers a wide variety of classes - if I stick with the level 1 classes and the open flow, I get a good stretch and strengthening session without being exhausted afterwards (the Tranquil Space level 2 classes are a different story...)


Dailies

Monday:  
In the morning, upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work, followed by yoga and then 2000 yards of swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 
In the morning, 7 miles, including 4x1200 at somewhere between tempo and marathon pace to test my foot on the track, and then a stepmill workout of 8x2:00 hard, 1:00 recovery.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday
:   In the morning, 8 miles easy (8:20), followed by yoga and then 2500 yards of swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:  
In the morning, some upper body weights and then a yoga class, followed by 1500 yards of swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 
In the morning, 11.5 miles, including a tempo workout of 2x2 miles, split as 13:41 (6:54/6:47) and 13:20 (6:43/6:37).   Yoga and foam rolling at night.

Saturday:  
In the morning, upper bodyweights, 45 minutes on the stepmill, and then 2500 yards of swimming.  Yoga and foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:  
In the morning, 15.5 miles as a progression run (first 6.5 in 8:39, next 4 in 8:02, last 5 in 7:22 - multiple long water breaks in here, though), followed by a yoga class.  Some foam rolling at night.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE me some Tranquil Space yoga! I miss it. One of my budget cuts this year.

    ReplyDelete