Monday, May 26, 2014

Training log - Week ending 5/25/2014



This week was 52.5 miles of running and 5000 yards of swimming  -- training log is here. 

And once again, making progress (seems like I’ve written that so many times before).  My right ankle/foot, which flared last week, calmed down again.  I can’t say it’s totally pain free, but it’s not horrible.  Just a small burning sensation that I notice after runs (not during) that calms down a few hours after.  I can live with that, especially since it seems to hurting less and less.  

I've also been taping my ankle for stability (see here), and that seems to help a lot (taping for plantar fascitis, peroneal tendonitis, or achilles tendonitis just makes stuff worse).  It makes sense that taping my ankle as if it was sprained helps - one of my issues underlying all these injuries is that many of the ligaments in my right foot are stretched out - the formal clinical description was "chronic multiligamentous ankle injury involving the ATFL, CFL, and a deltoid ligament."  The loose ligaments allow the ankle to move laterally in ways it shouldn't, causing issues.  (Of course, my stupid back and groin don't help stuff either, but fixing the ankle eliminates one source of my issues).

So back to training, and to workouts.  One of the changes I’m making to my training is slowing my interval workouts down, and running them at an effort level that may be as easy as tempo effort, or perhaps a bit harder, but NOT normal interval effort.  I’m also skipping 200s when they’re scheduled, and running 400s very controlled (to avoid being “dragged out” by others, I’m even starting my 400s at the back of the pack, counting  2 seconds after the others start, and then starting).  

I discussed this with my coach, and we agreed to try this as part of a strategy to keep me healthy – looking back on it, every time I’ve focused on raw speed, I’ve ended up fried, injured, or both.   So better to be a bit cautious here, and see where that gets me.  

I’ve also continued to work on slowing down my easy runs.  Basically, anytime I’m not doing a workout, I set my heart rate monitor to yell at me when my heart rate exceeds 150 (for comparison, my tempo HR is generally in the mid 170s; races can be anywhere from the high 170s to the 190s, depending on the distance).  It’s been working nicely so far.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, a yoga class, some upper body strengthwork, and 4 miles easy (8:28 pace).  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 8.5 miles, including a very controlled interval workout of 400 easy, then 1600, 1200, 800, 2x400. Splits were 1:38. 6:42, 4:50, 3:05, 1:29, and 1:24 (oops on the last).  Followed with 1500 yards of swimming, and some injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:  In the morning, 2.5 miles very easy (9:06 pace) and a yoga class.  Later did another 5.5 miles very easy (8:50 pace).  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, 4 miles very easy (8:53) and a yoga class.  Later did another 2.5 miles easy (8:30 pace), followed by upper body strengthwork.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  8 miles, including a tempo workout of 3200, ~5 minute rest, 1600 – ran 12:55 (6:33/6:22) and 6:13 (ran both too fast, not a true tempo effort).  Followed with 1500 yards of swimming, and some injury prevention work.  Then got dry needled in my back at PT.

Saturday:   5 miles very easy (8:30) then 2250 yards of easy swimming.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday:   12 miles (8:08), followed by a yoga class.  Then drove out to visit my parents, sister, and horse on Maryland's eastern shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment