Monday, August 11, 2014

Training log - Week ending 8/10/14

This week was 68 miles of running and 6000 yards of swimming  -- training log is here.


And....I felt really good this week.  I'm still running out of gas slightly at the end of workouts, but it's nothing like it was a few weeks back.  Or even last week.

There's all sorts of possible explanations - my allergies aren't bugging me nearly as much as they were a few weeks back, for one thing.  Nor is my asthma.  Another possible cause is that I swapped brands of iron supplements after another check of my ferritin levels showed that they weren't rising as quickly as I wanted. (I'm now using "slow FE"; I was using a generic brand of ferrous bisglycinate).  Or maybe it's just that I'm getting fitter.  Or that I took a down week last week.  Or that I took two vacation days from work this week as much needed mental health days.  

In any event, things are definitely progressing the right direction.  Friday's 5 mile track tempo was over 30 seconds faster than two weeks ago, though the effort felt the same (and the weather was the same).  And on Sunday, I thought I was holding about 7:10-15 pace at the end of my long run, only to discover when I checked my watch that I was running ~7:00 pace.   And I'm feeling perky on a Monday morning, not dragging.

Whatever the source, I'll take it. 

Dailies

Monday:   Yoga in the morning plus some upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work, foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 11 miles, including a workout of 2x1200,800,400 with half distance recoveries (4:35, 2:58, 87, 4:29, 2:55, 81).  Followed with injury prevention work and 1500 yards easy swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:  In the morning, 5.5 miles very easy (8:48 pace), followed by a yoga class.  Later another 8 miles easy (8:27) and 1500 yards easy swimming.  Sports massage at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, 2 miles to yoga (8:51) then yoga followed by 6 miles easy (8:30) and then a bit of upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  11.5 miles, including an 8K tempo on the track in 33:05 (6:47/6:35/6:36/6:37/6:30).  Followed with injury prevention work and 1500 yards easy swimming.   Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday:   10 miles easy (8:12); followed by some upper body and injury prevention work.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday: 14 miles as a progression run (8:53 for first 3 miles, 8:12 for next 4, 7:44 for next 2.5, and last 4.5 at 6:59. Average of 7:52 for ~14 miles.  Followed with 1500 yards easy swimming, injury prevention/leg strengthwork, and then a yoga class.  Foam rolling at night.

1 comment: