Monday, August 18, 2014

Training log - Week ending 8/17/2014

This week was 71 miles of running and 6000 yards of swimming  -- training log is here.

Didn't really mean to get up into the 70s, it just kinda happened.  Oops.

Actually, looking at it, my mileage build-up hasn't been too crazy-- looking back, since May it's been:

53
57
>50
60
62
>44
62
65
66
>50
68
71

(">" points a cutback week).  So, a pattern of 2-3 weeks build, 1 week back off.    Even so, 70+ miles may still be a bit high for me this early in a training cycle (I'm still about 14 weeks out from the Philly marathon), especially given my injury history over the past year.  So I'm going to try to ease up a bit this coming week.

Actually, looking at it, oops was pretty much the theme of this week.  Friday's ooops was misunderstanding how far I was supposed to go for tempo, while Sunday's ooops was finishing the long run a bit too fast - I revisited an old bad habit I have of speeding up when I start getting uncomfortable, in an attempt to just get the run over with.

Oh well.  The good thing about training is that even if a workout isn't executed perfectly - i.e. you run the tempo too slow or the long run too fast - it still counts for something.  Just recognize the error, grin, recover, move forward. 

In other news, I got my ferritin tested this week.  It's up to 50 (a few weeks ago when I was crashing, it was at 30).  Historically I run best at 60-70, so I've still got a lot of iron pills to pop and OJ to drink, but I'm making progress, and it shows in how I feel.  Running a long run too fast was not a possibility a few weeks ago - it is now.

Dailies

Monday:   Yoga in the morning, foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 11.5 miles, including a workout of 6x800 with half distance recoveries (3:05, 3:01, 2:57, 2:57, 2:56, 2:55).  Followed with injury prevention work and 1500 yards easy swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:  In the morning, 6 miles very easy (8:51 pace), followed by a yoga class.  Later another 8 miles easy (8:27) and 1500 yards easy swimming.  Sports massage at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, 5 miles very easy to yoga (8:46) then yoga followed by 3.5 miles easy (8:30) and then a bit of upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  12 miles, including an 8K+400 tempo on the track in 6:53/6:49/6:48/6:44/6:43/1:43  (A bit of miscommunication - I thought I was doing a 10K tempo (25 laps); but it turns out my coach didn't want me going more than 8K.  Ooops.   Followed with injury prevention work and 2000 yards easy swimming.   Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday:   11 miles easy (8:15); followed by a yin yoga class and some upper body and injury prevention work.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday: 14 miles as a progression run, split as first 4 at 8:31; next 5 at 7:39; last 5 at 6:53 (oops - ran a bit too fast the last three miles).  Average of 7:36 for ~14 miles.  Followed with injury prevention/leg strengthwork, and then a yoga class and 1000 yards easy swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

1 comment: