Sunday, March 10, 2024

Training log - Week ending 3/10/2024

This week was 56 miles of running, 1000 yards of swimming, and 18 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

The first part of this week was recovery from my half-marathon.  By Thursday I was ready to ease back into something light; since I had just raced a half-marathon (the ultimate in tempo workouts) I didn't see the point in doing something at tempo pace on the track.  So instead I headed over to Iwo Jima to do hill repeats at marathon effort (a lot easier than the normal hill effort).  

Doing hills at marathon effort (especially the downhill part) gave me an opportunity to practice managing my gait on the downhills, which is likely going to be my biggest challenge there.  I wore supershoes for the workouts (the Puma Deviate Elite) both because I find wearing supershoes makes downhills HARDER and because they protected my legs some from the workout so I could continue to recover from the half-marathon.

Verdict: I am better at downhills but still have work to do there.

Saturday's marathon pace workout (on flat Hains Point) went more smoothly.  Marathon pace seems to be locking into around 7:30 pace on flat ground in good weather.  I guess we'll see what that translates to at Boston 2024.

Separately, I've started adding some swimming back into my week.  I had dropped it because I've been really pressed for time, and swimming made the most sense to drop, given that it's not my focus sport and requires a fair amount of preparation time.  But...since cutting it out it seems like my lungs aren't as strong, so I think I need to find the time somehow to fit it in.

Dailies:

Monday:  6 "miles" pool-running and 500 yards swimming.   Foam rolling at night.  

Tuesday: 7 miles very easy (9:18) in the morning; streaming pilates and foam rolling in evening.
 
Wednesday: 7 miles very easy (9:27), upper body weights/core, and then 2 miles very easy (9:39) plus drills and strides. Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 11 miles, including 8 "Iwo Jima" hills at marathon effort, followed by leg strengthwork.  Foam rolling in evening.

Friday: 12 miles very easy (9:27) plus drills and strides in the morning; streaming yoga in the afternoon and foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 17 miles, including a marathon effort workout of 2x5 miles at marathon effort with one mile float between. Splits were 37:39 (7:32 pace) and 37:15 (7:27 pace) with a mile in 8:16 between the two.  Followed with leg strengthwork.  Foam rolling in evening.

Sunday: 6 "miles" pool-running and 500 yards swimming.  Foam rolling at night.




No comments:

Post a Comment