Sunday, March 17, 2024

Training log - Week ending 3/17/2024

This week was 72 miles of running and 9 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

This was my peak week of training for Boston, including my only 20+ mile run (I find I don't need very many of these, and one "secret" to training and racing well as you get older is not doing any more workouts than you need).

As seems consistent for me, the interval workout was rough, while the tempo and long runs went better.  Daylight savings means that the official team track workouts are starting in the dark again, and I struggle to move my legs until it gets light.  I think the splits on the 800s show when the sun rose.

I shortened the recovery intervals for Tuesday by tucking behind a faster group.  As background - the team trains in groups, meaning that you start each interval when others start (keeping life easy for the coach timing the workouts).  However, a lot of the recoveries end up being pretty long - about the same as the interval duration or longer.  Since I struggle to move my legs fast enough to get my heart rate up, I need to keep the recoveries short, or else my heart rate drops too low during recovery and I never get my heart rate up to where it should be during the workout.  

So...on Tuesday I deliberately tucked behind a group that was running faster than me.  By finishing about 20-30 seconds behind them and starting with them, I kept the recoveries shorter and finally managed to get my heart rate up during one of these workouts.

Friday's tempo felt smooth (I ran it solo and started after the sun rose).  I was really happy with Sunday's long run.   The things that really challenge me are a) trying to run faster than a shuffle downhill; b) running downhill in supershoes; c) uneven footing/rough pavement and d) dodging people and other things while running.  So...I forced myself to deal with this by wearing Vaporflies for the long run and doing the marathon effort work on the Capital Crescent (rough sections and bridges and tunnels and kids on scooters and dogs on leashes and people walking 5 across and cyclists zooming in all directions) with 5 of the 7 miles being downhill.

And...I handled it decently.  Not perfectly.  But well enough that I have a lot more confidence that I will be able to run the downhills at Boston at more than a shuffle.  (Yes, I have run Boston before, and I know that you don't want to run the downhills too fast. But that's not a big risk for me right now.)

Monday: 8 miles very easy (9:34) and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling in evening.

Tuesday: 11.5 miles, including a track workout of 7x800 in 3:36, 3:36, 3:30, 3:25, 3:21, 3:17, 3:14 (recoveries mostly at 2:1x-2:3x; one outlier at 3 minutes).  Followed with leg strengthwork.  Sports massage in afternoon.
 
Wednesday: 9 "miles" pool-running, 500 yards swimming, and upper body weights/core. Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 9 miles very easy on trails (9:52); streaming pilates and foam rolling in evening.

Friday: 10 miles, including a tempo on the track in 28:06 (7:12/7:04/6:59/6:51), followed by 2x200 in 51 and 50 seconds.  Then leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in evening.

Saturday: 12 miles very easy (9:12) followed by upper body weights/core. Foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday:  21 miles progressive, split as the first 7 miles averaging 9:17 pace, the next 7 miles averaging 8:21 pace, and the next 7 miles averaging 7:35 pace, plus a 1/2 mile cooldown. Followed with injury prevention work and foam rolling in afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment