Sunday, September 15, 2024

Training log - Week ending 9/15/2024

This week was 44 miles of running, 4.5 miles of walking, and 1500 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

Almost a full week's worth of training.  Two track workouts (the second better than the first) but no real long run for a combination of reasons including scheduling.  Switching my recovery day from pool-running to walking/hiking/swimming has made it tough to schedule my recovery day on Monday (when I also have to go into the office).  However, if I'm going to do long runs, I'm either going to have to figure out a non-pool-running recovery plan for Monday, carefully reintroduce pool-running, or move the track workouts around so that I can do my long run on Saturday.

I had another PT evaluation this week, with the revelation that my glutes and hamstrings are notably weaker than my quads.  So much for my theory that I needed to get my quads stronger. I do think that some of this is because I really backed off of the squats and barbell lunges while my hip was healing.  So I've added those back in, plus some regular deadlifts and prone hamstring curls for the hamstrings, and banded glute pull-backs for the glutes.

On the track, I'm focusing on running with my glutes only, while keeping the rest of my body as relaxed as possible.  It seems to be working so far - I just need to regain fitness.

Monday: 7 miles (10:00) and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling in evening.

Tuesday: 8.5 miles on track with a workout of 1600, 4x800 in 7:47, 3:52, 3:51, 3:46, 3:44; recoveries of 5:14 after the 1600 and 2:36 after each 800.  Followed with leg strengthwork.  Sports massage in evening.

Wednesday: 1 mile walking on trails and 4.5 miles running very easy (11:13) on trails plus 500 yards swimming.  Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 7 miles very easy (9:43) in the morning.  Pilates and foam rolling in the evening.
`
Friday: 7 on the track (9:38) including a workout of 3200, 1600 in 15:26 (7:49/7:37) and 7:27 with 5:27 recovery between.  Followed with leg strengthwork. Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 10 miles very easy on the towpath (10:00) and upperbody weights/core. Covid and flu vaccinations in the afternoon; foam rolling in evening.

Sunday: Walking and cheering at the DC Half-Marathon (3.5 miles), followed by 1000 yards swimming. Foam rolling in evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment