Sunday, June 16, 2024

Training log - Week ending 6/16/2024

This week was 56 miles of running, 9 "miles" of pool-running, and 500 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

My workouts this week had a split focus.  Basically, I've found that it's extremely difficult to work on my gait issues AND build my fitness in the same workout.  This is because I work on my gait issues by running in challenging situations (uneven or rough pavement, crowded paths, etc) and when I'm in those situations, it's very rare that I run fast enough to elevate my heart rate to the point where I get a real workout.

So, this week I did a tempo on Wednesday on the track to work on fitness, and then spent Friday and Saturday working on my weaknesses (short distance speed and running fast in busy areas and on uneven pavement).

Saturday's workout had a rule - I had to stay completely relaxed and smooth the whole time - as soon as I felt a hint of tension or locking up I eased off the effort until I was loose again (this is different from my normal practice, which is to try to hold pace while working through things).  

It felt like a productive session, in that I was able to figure out some mental cues that helped remove the tension (mainly thinking "smooth" and not focusing so much on my rhythm).  

Next week is the BAA 10K.  I am very definitely NOT in good 10K shape right now, so this will be interesting.

Monday: 9 "miles" pool-running and streaming yoga. Foam rolling in evening.

Tuesday: 9 miles very easy (10:10) on trails and streaming yoga. Foam rolling in evening.

Wednesday: 9.5 miles on the track, including a tempo workout of 3700m, 3200m in 16:40 (7:19/7:07/2:14) and 13:45 (6:58/6:47) with 2 minutes recovery in between (intended to be 4 miles continuous but my shoe came undone).  Followed with leg strengthwork.  Sports massage in evening.

Thursday: 10.5 miles very easy (9:29) in the morning; streaming pilates and foam rolling in the evening.
`
Friday: 7 miles on the track, including drills and some 200s (50-51 seconds) and 100s (24-25 seconds).  Foam rolling in evening.

Saturday: 9.5 miles, with a workout of 8x3 minutes on, 3 minutes off around the Georgetown waterfront. The on part was focused on picking up the pace while staying completely relaxed and smooth.  Followed with streaming pilates. Foam rolling in evening.

Sunday:  10.5 miles very easy (9:32) followed by drills and 500 yards swimming. Foam rolling in evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment