Sunday, July 28, 2024

Training log - Week ending 7/28/2024

This week was 19 miles of running, 45 minutes of rowing, and 36 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

I added in a bit more careful running, mixing it with cross-training.  I need to start building my volume up in advance of a fall marathon training cycle, but I don't want to increase volume AND switch from cross-training to mostly running at the same time.  So I'm increasing my volume now.  Then, when I'm ready to cut out most of the pool-running, I'll just hold or slightly drop my mileage while shifting back to running.

In the meantime, I've been doing more pool-running workouts - they are very hard, but I know from past experience that they are effective.  I attempted some rowing on Tuesday, but I don't seem to be able to get my heart rate up very high doing that, even after getting some coaching on form.  I suspect this is because of a discrepancy between my general aerobic fitness and rowing-specific fitness.

As for my stupid hip thing, it is getting better.  Slowly, but I suspect that's due to age.  If I was 20 years old, this would have taken 4 days to clear up.  I just have what feels like a lingering bit of adductor tendonitis combined with an irritated quadratus femoris.  Both feel better when I run a bit - I suspect this is because my gait gets really rough when I take a few days off, which puts more strain on those muscles.  So..a few miles of slow easy running on the track is the recipe for now, gradually building the miles and moving to other surfaces as things improve.

Monday: 2 miles (10:10), 4 "miles" pool-running, and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in evening.

Tuesday: 3 miles (9:36), 45 minutes of rowing in the morning.  Streaming yoga and foam rolling in evening.

Wednesday: 3 miles (9:23) and 4 "miles" pool-running, including a workout of 7x3:00 hard with 1:00 recovery.  Followed with leg strengthwork.  Sports massage in evening.

Thursday: 10 "miles" of pool-running in the morning. Streaming pilates and foam rolling in the evening.
`
Friday: 5 miles very easy (9:23) and upperbody strength/core.  Foam rolling in evening.

Saturday: 2 miles very easy (9:56) and 8 "miles" pool-running, including a workout of 8x3:00 hard with 1:00 recovery, and then 6x30 seconds all out with 30 seconds recovery, followed with leg strenthwork. Foam rolling in evening.

Sunday: 4 miles very easy (10:10) and then 10 "miles" of pool-running.  Foam rolling in evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment