Sunday, April 8, 2012

Training log - Week ending 4/08/12

This week was 62.5 miles of “real running” and 17 “miles” pool running, plus 750 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

This week was recovery from Cherry Blossom. Though (unlike RNR DC Half) I wasn’t sore at all after Cherry Blossom, I was definitely a bit tired after. It was up to us whether to run the Tuesday workout, and I decided to show, since I wasn’t sore or achy. Two reasons for this:

1) I simply was not able to sleep at all for the 2 days after Cherry Blossom due to adrenaline, and I knew that a rest day wouldn’t help the sleep issues. I thrive on being on a schedule, and nonchalantly doing my normal Tuesday routine would set me straight. And sure enough, I slept great on Tuesday night.

2) I tend to lose my mental focus and relaxation when I’m fatigued, which is when I need both the most. So running (a much easier version of) the normal workout was a great opportunity to practice these skills while tired – an opportunity that I didn’t want to miss. Ran the workout, kept my concentration (had to work a bit to avoid tensing up), and counted it a success. Splits were immaterial.

Actually, I’ve been treating the times and splits for all my hard days (Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday) as immaterial. One of my major goals for this spring is to save my “dig deep” days for race day. It’s not that I’m not working during my workouts. But I’m definitely trying to use them as maintenance and practice, rather than validations of my running ability. This mental attitude takes some work, but is a bit easier when you’re racing well and determined not to undermine that.

Separately, I’ve been dealing with some breathing issues over the last 2 weeks or so. I was annoyed at first, as I thought they were the result of allergies, even though I haven’t been experiencing any other major allergy symptoms since I figured out my allergy program, and I had been doing pretty well until the last two weeks.

Then I got smart and checked the weather history – yup, every day that I’ve had issues breathing has been a very dry day, with dewpoints in the 20s or below - problematic for asthmatics. So, my allergy program continues to work, and I’ll be fine as soon as this spate of super dry air passes.

In the meantime, it doesn’t affect me that much, as long as I’m sure to stay relaxed, calm, and work through it. I can’t control the dew point, but I can control my attitude.

Dailies

Monday: In the morning, 60 minutes of easy poolrunning for “6 miles” and then 750 yards of swimming breathing drills, followed by upper body and core strengthwork plus injury prevention exercises. Foam-rolling and stretching at night.

Tuesday: In the morning, 10 miles on the track, including a restrained workout of 1600, 1200, 800, 400, 2x200 (splits were 6:12, 4:34, 2:54, 82, 37, 38). Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes of shakeout pool-running. Floor barre and foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 10 miles easy (8:06 pace) and then a yoga class. Later, 5 miles easy (7:50 pace). Foam-rolling/stretching at night.

Thursday: In the morning, 60 minutes of easy pool-running (“6 miles”), followed by injury prevention work and upper body/core strenghtwork. Pilates plus foam-rolling and stretching at night.

Friday: In the morning, 11.5 miles, including a windy 4 mile tempo on the track in 26:09 (6:35 pace – splits of 13:14 for first 3200m, then 6:33 and 6:22). Followed with injury prevention work and 15 minutes of shakeout pool-running. Pilates and foam rolling at night.

Saturday: In the morning, 10 miles easy (8:03 pace). Light injury prevention exercises, as well as foam-rolling and stretching, in the afternoon.

Sunday: 16 mile progressive long run, split as first 3 miles at 8:34 pace, next 8.5 miles at 7:53 pace, last 4.5 miles at 7:02 pace. Overall pace 7:46. Followed by injury prevention work and then 15 minutes of shakeout pool-running. Restorative yoga and foam-rolling at night.

4 comments:

  1. Few people acknowledge/recognize the impact of dry air on asthmatics. I think it's one of the reasons that I have had fewer problems with my asthma in DC than any other place I've lived, since those dry days are an oddity.

    Also, I just noticed that your PR list on the right side of the page needs to be updated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Actually, they're all correct -- I just failed to update the year for one of them.

      Delete
  2. Great attitude about not letting your training runs be the judge of where you are at fitness wise. The problem for me is that if the training run won't be an indicator of my fitness level, then I am less motivated to keep my tempo pace. Another great week for you-- nice to see you on Friday and Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Ran the workout, kept my concentration (had to work a bit to avoid tensing up), and counted it a success. Splits were immaterial."

    Call up 2009 you and read this to her. I bet she doesn't even know what to think.

    ReplyDelete