Sunday, April 15, 2012

Training log - Week ending 4/15/12

This week was 63 miles of “real running” and 12 “miles” pool running, plus 2750 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

Good week, though not without some bad judgment calls. On the good side, I won a 5K race while setting a PR. So woo. Bad judgment calls were an inadvertent 15 mile run on Wednesday, and running my long run too hard on Sunday.

Wednesday was just an honest mistake – met some friends for a run, and then took the scenic route home, not realizing how much more I was adding on. At least it didn’t seem to hurt me at all for my Saturday race – I usually do a double on Wednesday, so this wasn’t that much different, except that it was one run, not two (I also seem to handle mileage very well – 15 miles at easy pace really doesn’t feel different from 12). On Sunday, I ended up running both the first part and the last part of my progressive long run too fast, especially in light of the fact that it was pretty warm and I had raced the previous day. I know better. But at least I’m not feeling too beat up post run, so we’ll just file this one as “don’t do again.”

Plan for the next few weeks is to continue to work to combine good races with smart running outside of my races. I’m starting to add some 200m repeats to the ends of my interval workouts when my coach lets me. I’m not shooting for any specific pace here; I just want to work on my ability to stay relaxed and fluid while running at top speed.

Dailies

Monday: In the morning, 40 minutes of easy poolrunning for “4 miles” and then 1250 yards of swimming breathing drills, followed by upper body and core strengthwork plus injury prevention exercises. Foam-rolling and stretching at night.

Tuesday: In the morning, 11.5 miles including a workout of 1600, 4x 800, 4x200 - splits were 5:55, 2:52, 2:52, 2:51, 2:51, 38, 38, 39, 38. Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes of shakeout pool-running. Floor barre and foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 15 (oops) miles easy (7:55 pace). Lost track of distance, ran too far. Skipped yoga as penance, and just did foam-rolling/stretching at night (plus an ice bath for good measure).

Thursday: In the morning, 7.5 miles easy outside (8:03 pace) plus drills and strides. Also 15 minutes of shakeout pool-running plus some injury prevention work and upper body/core strengthwork. Pilates plus foam-rolling and stretching at night.

Friday: In the morning, 1500 yards of swimming breathing drills plus 10 minutes of shake out pool-running . Injury prevention work and foam rolling at night, plus ice bath.

Saturday: In the morning, 12 miles, including 3.5 mile warm-up, 5K race in 19:15, then 5.5 miles cooldown, followed by 20 minutes of shake-out pool-running. Light upper body and core strength-training plus injury prevention work and foam rolling/stretching in the afternoon.

Sunday: In the morning, a progressive long run of 16.5 miles at 7:31 pace (split as first mile at 8:28 pace, then 7:42 pace for next 9 miles, 7:13 pace for next 4.5 miles, and 6:42 pace for last 2 miles), followed by injury prevention work and then 15 minutes of easy pool-running. Yoga and foam-rolling tonight.

2 comments:

  1. You always have the best photos.

    I love that you "accidentally" ran 15 miles ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its nice that you share the watchless racing!! I have been racing without a watch for a lot of time and its great, you dont have to worry about splits if the condition are not in your favor, nor limit yourself if you are in better shape than presumed!! Would you race without a watch( or in your case, not analize the garmin data during the race) even in a marathon?

    For how long have you been following this approach? What is your favorite thing about the watchless racing?

    ReplyDelete