Sunday, April 22, 2012

Training log - Week ending 4/22/12

This week was 66 miles of “real running” and 15 “miles” pool running, plus 2250 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

Tuesday’s workout was a big confidence booster.  I felt sluggish, horrible, and unable to breathe fully throughout (temps were high 60s with very high pollen count – the sort of conditions that I hate).  But I just dealt with it, focused on relaxed effort, and ignored splits entirely.  I’d worry from time to time that the workout wasn’t going that well, but I decided I was just going to run whatever I’d run.  And then checked my splits post workout, and…I had a pretty good workout – one that I would have been happy with in good conditions.  Food for thought (again).  

Other news of the week was that I visited my PT for a “check-up.”  I like to do this every once in a while on the theory that prevention is more efficient and cheaper than cure.  Better to have one appointment when I’m not injured, to look for stuff coming down the road, then a slew of appointments later on (plus if I avoid injury, I avoid cross training).

So went in, got assessed, and…despite a slew of glute strengthening exercises that I do religiously, my left glute is still substantially weaker than the right – which could result in future injury.  The PT thinks that it’s an issue with a nerve getting compressed at the spine – I have a tendency to be swaybacked, with my back continually bending at the L5 vertebrae (I also tend to have mild to moderate sciatica down one leg or the other – usually the left).    So, I’m to work more on protecting and strengthening that area of the back, including avoiding most backbend type exercises (I already skip “wheel pose” in yoga, but I’m also going to avoid stuff like cobra pose).  Additionally, he also gave me some “spinal extension” exercises to add in.

Oh yeah, and a friend ran REALLY well in the London Marathon.  Just a 2:27:44.  No big deal.

I’m racing a 10K next week, and a 10 miler the week after.  With 3 solid weeks of training in the books, I’m going to back off now, and treat the next two as recovery/taper.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, 45 minutes of easy poolrunning for “4.5 miles” and then 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills, followed by upper body and core strengthwork plus injury prevention exercises.  Foam-rolling and stretching at night.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 10 miles including a workout of 6x800 and 4x200 - splits were 2:54, 2:53, 2:53, 2:51, 2:51, 2:48, 37, 38, 38, 37.   Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes of shakeout pool-running.    Floor barre and foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:   In the morning, 10 miles easy (7:58) plus a yoga class.  Later, an additional 6 miles easy (7:50).  Foam-rolling at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, upper body and core strengthwork plus injury prevention exercises, followed by 40 minutes of easy poolrunning for “4 miles” and 1250 yards of swimming breathing drills.  Foam-rolling and stretching at night.

Friday:  In the morning, 12 miles, including a 4 mile tempo on the track in 26:01 (splits of 6:32/6:34/6:35/6:20), followed by injury prevention work and then 25 minutes of shake out pool-running.   Pilates and foam rolling at night.

Saturday:   In the morning, 11.5 miles easy/aerobic (7:50 pace).  Upper body and core strength-training plus injury prevention work and foam rolling/stretching in the afternoon.

Sunday:   In the morning, a progressive long run of 16.5 miles at 7:35 pace (split as first 5 miles at 8:28 pace, then 7:31 pace for next 5 miles, and 6:54 pace for last 6.5 miles), followed by injury prevention work and then 20 minutes of easy pool-running.   Restorative yoga and foam-rolling tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment