Sunday, December 5, 2010

Training - week ending 12/05/2010

End of week 4, post fracture. This week was 95 “miles” pool running (per my conversion below) -- training log is here. Next week and the week after will be a bit lighter, as I’m taking an intensive 6 day training course from Friday-Wednesday.

One positive to report: my resting HR has stayed around 45, just slightly above what it was when I was at my fittest while running, even though I haven't done anything aerobic except poolrunning in over a month. That's a nice bit of validation for the poolrunning.

Dailies

Monday: “15 miles” total. In the morning, “11.5 miles” – 1:40 hours pool running, including an “800s” workout of 10x3:00 at very hard effort, with 1:00 recovery, followed by full recovery and then 15 minutes at aerobic effort.. Strength training at night, plus 35 minutes easy pool running for 3.5 more “miles”.

Tuesday: In the morning, “12 miles” – 2 hours mostly easy pool-running plus lower body strengthwork. (I also threw in 30 minutes of 90 sec hard/60 sec easy, but after being corrected by my coach later that day, I won’t be doing that again.:)

Wednesday: “12.5 miles” total – In the morning, 75 minutes easy pool running for “7.5 miles” plus upper body weights; in the evening, 50 minutes easy pool running for “5” more miles.

Thursday: “13.5 miles” - 2 hours pool running, including a 40 minute tempo. Pilates session in the evening

Friday: “12 miles” – 2 hours easy pool running

Saturday: “19 mile long run” – 2:45 hours in the pool, including 5 minutes at “marathon/half-marathon” effort every 10 minutes; followed with strength training.

Sunday: “11 miles” - 1:50 hours easy pool running.

4 comments:

  1. Nice week, I'm amazed how you are still kicking it in the pool!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been absolutely amazing me in the weeks since you've been sidelined. I remember when my achilles was inflamed in February, I tried to cross-train mostly with pool running and anything even approaching an hour was about my limit. I wonder what I'd be capable of with your mental tenacity :)

    Curious... what kind of strength training are you doing now? Have you had to amend it any because of the foot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys -- It's getting to be the norm now, so not so hard.

    Mark: I've had to modify my strength training a lot, since I can't do anything that puts weight on the foot -- so normal push ups are out, as are squats, lunges, etc.

    I've had to shift from free weights to using seated machines, but I can still get a decent workout in. The things that are really atrophying are my calves and glutes -- very hard to work those given my present limitations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great week of cross-training Cris! After it is said and done you will appreciate all that upper body strength.

    ReplyDelete