Thursday, November 3, 2011

One year ago...

A doctor told me that I had broken my foot the day before, while running on a treadmill.   The workout log entry for the previous day's run (revised post-hoc) is darkly amusing in retrospect.



The broken foot pushed me headfirst over the edge into the deep end -- a "journey" of pool-running.  Just moving my legs in place for hours on end, and then blogging about it. 

It was a long trip back. With good days, special days, and tough days.  But in the end, it was worth it.

I'm not a positive person by nature.  "Inspiration" gives me acne and "hope" a headache; I prefer my daily mug of cynicism, with a seasoning of black humor. [to that point, I'm highly amused by the fact that my hot water heater is once again broken, just as it was a year ago]

But one thing I've always believed is that when bad things happen, it's an opportunity to self-assess and make positive changes.

And in this case, I did, and it's worked out pretty darn well, if I do say so myself.

Thanks for a fun year, guys.

7 comments:

  1. It's been great running with you this past year! You've done an amazing job of showing how successful you can be while using pool running as cross training.

    Also, I'm so glad you started this blog! It's great to have so much good pool running information to refer to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dash an all counts. So glad you are healthy and running strong again. LOL on your workout log. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are back at it this year. I was injured for a few months (back) last year so I can relate. It's definitely all the sweeter when you come back after an injury.
    If it hadn't been for my injury, I never would've discovered all the lovely wineries in the Virginia countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So happy you joined CAR, are running well and staying un-broken!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you joined CAR as well, even if it took a broken foot to get you in the door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad everything has worked out and you are running well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated anniversary! Hilarious workout entry that started this whole thing. Broke my foot...oh bother.

    ReplyDelete