Monday, June 5, 2017

Training log - Week ending 6/4/17

This week was 51 miles of running,  23 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

This week was all over the place, with highs and lows.  One big high was Monday's mile race - I was really happy with my placing, and it was great to finally break 5:30.  When I turned 40, I thought that my lifetime mile PR would be stuck at 5:30 - I'd run that same time on three separate occasions, on both track and the roads.  It's nice to break that.

I followed the mile up with, of all things, prolotherapy injections in my ankle on Tuesday.  In the past, my ankles have been the source of many injuries - a result of instability in the ankle joint from loose ligaments.  My PRP and prolotherapy injections a few years ago tightened everything up nicely, but the doctor had warned me that I'd need follow-up injections every few years.

At a follow-up appointment earlier this spring, he noted that my right ankle was starting to feel sloppy again.  I didn't need to get it injected yet, but I should come back in when things started to get sore.  And then, a few weeks ago, I noted that I was starting to struggle with my balance on my right leg in yoga.  Over the next few weeks, the trend continued - left side good/right side wobbly-and-getting-worse in single leg exercises.  I could see where this was going - right into a compensation injury - so I scheduled an injection appointment.

Prolotherapy is much easier than PRP - it's cheaper, far less pain, and you can drive home after.  The only catch was that I couldn't go in the pool for 48 hours after because of the risk of infection at the injection sites.   But running was fine, so there was really no interruption in training.  And I noted near-immediate improvement - my single leg exercises on Saturday were perfect on both sides.  Woo.

***

For this weekend, my coach had scheduled a workout of 2x4 miles at marathon pace-ish (anywhere within a range of 6:45-7:00 pace).  The original plan would have been to do this workout on Sunday, after a cruise intervals workout on Friday.  So three hard days - the mile race, the cruise intervals, and the 2x4.

Since the mile race and the 2x4 were both demanding efforts, my coach agreed with my request that I skip the cruise intervals, so that I'd only have two hard days this week.  I don't recover as quickly as some, and thus I like to err on the side of more recovery.  I don't do myself any favors by doing more hard training than I can absorb.

So...I raced the mile on Monday, took three easy days, and then did the 2x4 on Friday.  I had originally thought I'd do the 2x4 on Saturday, but I felt recovered enough by Friday to do it, and Friday's weather was absolutely perfect - too good to pass up.  Plus, doing it on Friday gave me another 3 days recovery before Tuesday track.  The workout went very well, so that was nice.

***

However, all the good things about the week were counterbalanced by the unexpected loss of a beloved coworker.  Elise was both brilliant and one of the kindest, gentlest souls I've ever known.  She was generous and caring and genuine in a way that was hard to comprehend, let alone convey via words.  Her passing is a huge loss to the privacy community, to our mutual employer, and to the world as a whole.  I can't believe she's gone.

Dailies 

Monday: In the morning 3 miles warm-up and then a mile race in 5:25.4.  In the afternoon, 10 "miles" pool-running and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: In the morning, a yoga class and 4 "miles" pool-running.  Prolotherapy shots in my ankle midday. Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:  In the morning, 6.5 miles very easy (8:50) to yoga, yoga, and then another 5.5 miles (9:09), followed by drills.  Massage at night.

Thursday: In the morning, 10 miles very easy (9:09) followed by drills and strides and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: In the morning, 13 miles including a workout on the roads of 2x4 miles at marathon pace, with one mile recovery in between.  Ran 27:30 (6:53/6:54/6:51/6:52 - average pace of 6:53) and 27:24 (6:55/6:50/6:49/6:50 - average pace of 6:51)   Followed with 1500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday:  In the morning, 9 "miles" pool-running, followed by upper body weights plus core and injury prevention work and foam rolling.

Sunday: In the morning, train ride to NYC, followed by 12 easy in Central Park (8:43) and injury prevention work.  Later took the train back to DC.  Foam rolling at night.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to her of the loss of your coworker. So often coworkers become our second families. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete