Sunday, August 27, 2017

Training log - Week ending 8/27/17

This week was 76 miles of running, 23 "miles" of pool-running and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

My mileage is deceptively high this week, because I ran more days than normal.  Usually I run five days a week on land, while the other two days are pool-only.  But for this period of Monday-Sunday, I ran six days, and only had one pool-only day.  Why?

Well....when I'm in the depths of marathon training, I think in terms of 14 day fortnights rather than 7 day weeks (though this blog doggedly adheres to the 7 day format).   I structure my fortnight like this:

  • Monday1: Pool-only
  • Tuesday1: Easy mileage
  • Wednesday1: 25x400m
  • Thursday1: Pool-only
  • Friday1: Easy mileage
  • Saturday1: 4-3-2-1 long run
  • Sunday1: Pool-only
  • Monday2: Easy mileage
  • Tuesday2: Track intervals
  • Wednesday2: Easy mileage
  • Thursday2: Pool-only
  • Friday2: Track tempo
  • Saturday2: Easy mileage
  • Sunday2: 21 mile long run.
(pool-running days in italics, key workouts in bold)


Structured this way, I never run on land more than three days in a row, and I take a pool-only day (aka a "POD") after each of the key workouts - the 21 miler, the 25x400m, and the 4-3-2-1 marathon pace workout/long run.   I consider those three workouts to be particularly demanding and high risk, and so I emphasize recovery after each.

So the first 7 day period ends up having three PODs and low land mileage while the subsequent 7 day period has only one POD, and thus higher land mileage.

Per this schedule,  I did last week's long run on Saturday, and then took my normal post-long run pool day on Sunday.  Because of this, Monday of this week ended up being land, not pool.  So only one POD this week, resulting in a high land mileage tally.

If you just looked at the weekly numbers, you might be very concerned at the injury risks inherent in these land mileage fluctuations - bouncing from 50 to 76 and back again.  But I think this is an example of where weekly mileage totals aren't the best metric for assessing workload/stress.

I could have forced a land run of 10-11 miles last Sunday after the 4-3-2-1, delaying my POD until Monday.  Doing so would have looked more balanced on pixels/paper - with weeks of 61 and 65 miles, respectively.  But, in the real world, I'm certain that taking my POD the day after the 4-3-2-1 is the best choice for me in terms of recovering from and absorbing the workout, and is far easier on my body - even if the weekly Monday-Sunday total argues otherwise.

Reviewing my training over the fortnight period - I ran 126 miles plus 61 miles in the pool.  Averaged over 2 weeks, that comes to 63 miles on land and 30 miles in the pool each week - exactly what I'm targeting, and a perfect workload for me.

It's a nice reminder to myself to let the training drive the numbers, rather than the other way around.

[And now, an aside that oozes hypocrisy.  While training absolutely drives the numbers, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the numbers when they work out well..]

[As you can see, for one brief moment, I led the weekly mileage chart for my team on Strava.  This was an unexpected perk of running early on Monday morning.   I couldn't resist screencapping it for posterity (this may never happen again).  If you're on Strava, you're not allowed to judge me for this.  If you've resisted Strava, judge away.]

[and yes, I am on Strava.  However, I am being pretty conservative in whom I'm allowing to follow me.  Please don't be hurt if I don't accept your follow request, especially if I don't know you personally.]


Dailies 

Monday: In the morning, 4.5 miles very easy (9:03) to yoga, yoga, and then 6.5 miles very easy home (8:50) plus drills and strides. 3 "miles" pool-running in the evening.

Tuesday: 11 miles, including a track workout of 6x800 in 3:05, 3:01, 2:57, 2:59, 2:58, 2:51.  Also did injury prevention work at the gym and 1250 yards of recovery swimming.  Massage at night.

Wednesday: In the morning, 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:25), yoga, and then 4 miles very easy (9:02) plus drills and strides.  4 "miles" pool-running and foam rolling in the evening.

Thursday: In the morning, upper body weights and core plus 10 "miles" pool-running with the belt.  Another 2 "miles" of pool-running and foam rolling at night.

Friday: 11 miles, including a 4 mile tempo on the track in 25:15 (6:25/6:20/6:24/6:06).  Followed with injury prevention work and 1250 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 10 miles easy (9:07) followed by drills and four strides, and upper body weights and core.  Foam rolling and 4 "miles" pool-running in afternoon.

Sunday: 21 miles progressive, split as first 7 averaging 8:52 pace, next 7 averaging 7:38, last 7 averaging 6:49.  Followed with injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.   Foam rolling in afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment