Sunday, November 19, 2017

Training log - Week ending 11/19/17

This week was 41 miles of running, 10 "miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

For all sorts of non-running related reasons, this was a tough week.  Just a very rough week at work, complicated by a quick trip to central Kansas that I really couldn't do (for work reasons) but also really had to do (because it was my Grandfather's 100th birthday).  So I made it happen.


Happy 100th, Grandpa!


Running wasn't my biggest priority this week, but I managed to make that happen as well.  Mostly.  This week was a little light on the "little stuff" - the yoga, injury prevention work, and recovery swimming.  But that's OK - sometimes something has to give.


While in Wichita, I managed to squeeze in a run in Sedgwick County Park.  I've run there before, and really enjoyed it.  The park features multiple loops of bike trails that are between 1 and 5 miles in circumference, making it easy to string together a decent run.  It's also visually interesting - covered bridges, wind mills, lakes, etc.  Much like Central Park in NYC, I'm sure I'd get sick of it if I had to run in it every day.  But as a "every once in a while" thing, it's great.

In terms of workouts, I adhered to my goal of keeping everything controlled.  Well, mostly - that 2:48 to conclude Tuesday's workout was an exception (though I'm usually allowed to hammer the last rep in a workout if I feel good and don't have a race coming up, so not a huge foul).  
I stole this photo
from the official park website

It was interesting to me how running 800s in ~3:00 felt harder than 2:55.  I've noted this before and I think it's because the slightly slower reps place more stress on the aerobic system (as opposed to anaerobic).  Since I'm a distance runner, that's a good thing.

Friday's tempo was done in the Park, on a very windy morning.  Yes, I know the splits are all over the place.  I assure you the effort was consistent, though - the splits were dramatically affected by the direction I was running.  

This one too.
I mixed things up a bit with a 5 mile warm-up (mostly because I didn't want to start running hard until after sunrise so I could see where I was going), and then 2x2 miles at goal half-marathon pace (so slightly slower than our normal tempo intervals) with a quarter mile recovery (usually we take half a mile).  The workout felt "just hard enough" which was good, and I also liked having the opportunity to practice half-marathon pace.

All the stress and travel finally caught up to me on Sunday, when I woke with achy shoulders and a scratchy throat.  I didn't feel like going running, which was a good indicator (as if the scratchy throat and aches weren't) that I shouldn't go running.

(I was also craving chili, which I only do when I'm sick).

So stayed in bed and took the day off, except for some foam rolling and much zinc and water (and chili).  Hopefully that did the trick.



Dailies

Monday: Foam rolling, upper body weights/core, and 6 "miles" of pool-running.

Tuesday: 11 miles, including a track workout of 6x800 in 3:05, 3:00, 3:01, 2:58, 2:56, 2:48.  Also injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 5 miles easy (9:31) to yoga, yoga, and then 4 miles easy home (8:59) plus drills and strides.  Sports massage in afternoon.

Thursday
 4 "miles" of pool-running and then traveled to Wichita; a quick upper body weights workout and foam rolling in hotel gym once I got to Wichita.

Friday: 11 miles, including a workout of 2x2 miles at goal half-marathon pace (targeting 6:30-ish) with a quarter mile recovery.  Split 13:08 (6:29/6:39) and 12:51 (6:34/6:17).  Traveled back to DC.  Foam rolling in the evening.

Saturday: 10 miles very easy (8:58), followed by upper body weights and core. Foam rolling in evening.

Sunday:  Off.  Just foam rolling.  And zinc.  And chili.

1 comment: