Sunday, December 3, 2017

Training log - week ending 12/3/17

This week was 62 miles of running, 17 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

The good news this week was that I was much more diligent about the little stuff like strengthwork and yoga.  

The bad news was that my asthma flared again.  I had first noted some issues during last Sunday's long run, when I had to use my rescue inhaler halfway through, felt awful throughout, and was coughing a lot after.  I hoped it was just leaf mold, but I upped my inhaled asthma meds to the max allowed in case I was having a flare.  

[I have a standing prescription for three inhalers - Advair 250/50 is my standard, and then I can layer Qvar and my rescue inhaler over it as needed - using as much as I need to keep stuff under control, but no more than is necessary]

Unfortunately, the inhaled meds didn't do much.   This week's track workouts were mile repeats on Tuesday, and then two mile repeats on Friday.  Both workouts are exactly what I struggle with the most when my breathing is bad - longer repeats at faster than lactate threshold.    Workouts on either side of that range - either faster short repeats or longer segments at marathon pace or slower -  are much easier to "fake" when my asthma is flaring.

Tuesday's workout was rough.  And though my breathing was slightly better on Friday, doubling the distance of the repeat just made things worse.  Both workouts were far from pleasant or confidence boosting.

Fortunately I was able to see my asthma doctor on Friday morning, where I did some breathing into a machine, which confirmed that my breathing sucked.  Really sucked.  So back on the prednisone for another few days to get things under control.

[obligatory anti-doping note: Advair, Qvar, and my rescue inhaler are all legal in or out of competition in the amounts that I take them; prednisone is legal out of competition, though banned in competition.  When on pred, I'm careful to stop it several days before racing.]

The good news was that by Sunday I was feeling better.  Much better.  (Thank you pred.)  My long run went very well, with no breathing issues and a minimum of coughing after.  So I'm going to come off of the prednisone and hope that's the end of this episode.

I'm wondering in retrospect whether I should have skipped last week's Turkey Trot.  Running hard when I have a chest cold guarantees an asthma flare.  However, since last week's cold was only in my neck and above, I thought I was OK.  Maybe not.  Or maybe I would have flared anyway.  

Dailies

Monday: Yoga and 7 "miles" pool-running; foam rolling at night..


Tuesday: 11 miles, including 3x1600 in 6:15, 6:13, 6:07.  Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 8 miles very easy (9:02) to yoga, yoga, and then 4 miles very easy (9:10).  Sports massage in afternoon.

Thursday
 Upper body weights and core plus 10 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday12 miles, including 2x3200 in 12:50 (6:25/6:25) and 12:46 (6:26/6:20).  Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 10 miles very easy (9:22), followed by upper body weights and core. Foam rolling in evening.

Sunday:  16.5 miles progressive, split as first 5 miles at 8:30 pace, next 5 at 7:39; next 6 at 6:57, and then a 1/2 mile cooldown back to car.  Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment