Sunday, May 13, 2018

Training log - Week ending 5/13/18

This week was 66 miles of running, 18 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

Marathon training: just like the good old days.  And it really felt like it today (Sunday) when my running buddy Juan and I (both Boston 2018 survivors) were joined by several others from our Boston training crew for the first few miles of our long run.  Yet another chance to rehash the race that we will never stop talking about, apparently.  My sympathies to all who run with us.

I officially swapped to the full at Grandma's on Tuesday, so that's set.  Now I just need to get there.  My "miniature training plan" is for 4 weeks at my normal marathon mileage, with long runs of:

  • 14 miles with 2x4 at marathon pace (last week)
  • 18 miles progressive (this week)
  • 16-17 miles with 2x5 at marathon pace (next week; may modify to 4-3-2-1 at MP if weather bad)
  • 20-21 progressive
Then taper.

The 18 miles went very well today, so that was nice and reassuring.  As I noted last week, I am deliberately pulling way back on my target marathon pace, from 6:45 to 7:00.  One would hope that things would feel easy, given that I slowed stuff up by 15 seconds a mile.  But 7:00 pace didn't feel easy last week, so it's nice to have the reassurance of today's run.

My track workouts, on the other hand, evidenced my rust.  I'm generally a fairly good pacer, and I usually run my workouts progressively, easing my way into the workout and then increasing the pace throughout.   I was erratic this week, though. 

On Tuesday my attempt to avoid hammering my last 400 backfired when ran it slower than the previous 800.  (It's a good thing fast 400s aren't that important in marathon training).  And then on Friday's tempo I misjudged my fitness and the weather conditions slightly, picked up the pace too much in the first mile and then had to keep pulling back to avoid redlining the effort. 

So ooops for both of those days. But neither mistake compromised my training, and that's the most important thing here.  The next few weeks are all about refreshing and preserving (while resisting the temptation to try to increase) my marathon fitness.



Dailies

Monday: Foam rolling, yoga, and 8 "miles" of pool-running.

Tuesday: 12.5 miles, including a 3 mile warm-up (8:47), a track workout of 2000, 4x800, 400 (800m recovery after the 2000; 400 recovery after everything else) (7:45, 3:01, 3:00, 2:59, 2:53, 87) and a 4.5 mile cool-down (9:07).  Also injury prevention work and 1250 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:19), yoga, and then 4.5 miles very easy home (9:07), plus drills and 4 strides.  Massage in afternoon.

Thursday
 Upper body weights/core and 10 "miles" of pool-running; foam rolling at night. 

Friday: 12.5 miles, including 3 mile warm-up (8:59), then a 4 mile tempo on the track in 25:44 (6:25/6:27/6:29/6:23).  Followed with a 4.5 mile cool-down (8:52), plus injury prevention work and 1250 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in the evening.

Saturday: 10 miles very easy (8:55), drills and four strides, and then upper body weights and core and DIY yoga.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday: 18.5 miles progressive, split as first 6 averaging 8:56 pace; next 6 averaging 7:41 pace; last 6 averaging 7:01 pace; plus about 3 minutes of jogging cool-down. 
 Followed with injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to see that you are doing Grandma's! I think your long run structure sounds perfect to maintain and build on your Boston fitness. And yes, we will never stop talking about Boston 2018!

    ReplyDelete