Sunday, August 5, 2018

Training log - Week ending 8/5/2018

This week was 54 miles of running, 17 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

This was my first week of seriously training (and by serious, I mean hitting the track).  Tuesday's workout went surprisingly well, aided by a conservative start.  

Friday's workout did not, despite a conservative start to that as well.  When given my choice of distances, I opted for "four miles, but dropping at 5K if I'm straining" - at 5K I was starting to strain, but decided to try for 4 anyway, only to re-decide a few moments later that I really should have dropped at 5K.   Thus, a tempo of approximately 5250 meters in distance.

I think it was partially the thick humidity, but also that I'm out of shape in multiple ways.   Physically, I was working too hard for a tempo (so it was good I shut it down).  Mentally I just wasn't in shape for 16 laps on a warm day (though from that standpoint it probably would have been better if I had finished it).  

Tempos are always the hardest workout for me since I struggle to focus for that long. Intervals and hills are easier since I get breaks, and long runs are assisted by the changing scenery.   Having done nothing but hills, mile races, and moderate distance aerobic runs has left me short on concentration skills.  Which I'm not too worried about - that comes back pretty easily.

Sunday, I decided to go with a standard progressive long run, just a shorter distance.  Since it was hot and humid again, I didn't rely on my watch during the final four miles at marathon pace.  Though I usually train watchless, in the past marathon pace running has been the one time I've relied on my Garmin - mostly because I didn't trust myself not to run too fast without the watch to reel me in.   However, I've now run 9 marathons (wow), and paced them all off of perceived effort.  I think I'm probably ready to run my marathon pace workouts off of perceived effort as well.

Dailies

Monday: Yoga and 8.5 "miles" of pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.


Tuesday: 11 miles, including a track workout of 2x800, 1600, 2x800 in 3:06, 3:01, 6:08, 2:58, 2:51.  Followed with injury prevention and leg strength work, and then 1000 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.


Wednesday:  8 miles very easy to yoga (9:14), yoga, and then 4 miles very easy (9:18), plus drills and strides.  Sports massage in afternoon.


Thursday
 Upper body weights/core and 8.5 "miles" of pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 9 miles, including an intended 4 mile tempo - I bailed at just after 13 laps, so my splits were 6:38/6:33/6:37, and then a bit more before bailing.  Followed with injury prevention and leg strength work, and then 1000 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 10 miles very easy (9:05), followed by upper body weights/core and foam rolling.


Sunday:  12 miles progressive, split as the first 5 miles averaging 8:51, next 3 miles averaging 8:03, and the last 4 miles averaging 7:10.  Followed with injury prevention and leg strength work, and then 1000 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment