Sunday, September 23, 2018

Training log - Week ending 9/23/18

This week was 62 miles of running, 18 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

This week had some frustrations.  When marathon training, I prefer to focus on a good quantity of aerobic training, which means 1) a lot of marathon pace work, 2) maxing out the reps on the Tuesday workout while keeping the pace restrained and aerobic, and 3) good quality tempos.  Of those three, I consider the last to be the most important for me, based on my own personal weaknesses and strengths.  

So of course, it was on Friday during the tempo workout that my asthma flared and I pulled myself from the workout rather than dig a hole by forcing the issue  Intellectually, I know it's nothing to be too concerned about - it's just one workout and it was very humid and ragweed was very high and I'm due for my next shot of Xolair on Monday to get stuff back under control.  But still frustrating as hell. 

Fortunately, it cooled down on Sunday - between that and the rain, my breathing was great.  Running at marathon pace effort (not looking at my watch for pace, but just going off of feel) I averaged 6:50 pace for the last 6 miles - exactly what I need to run sub-3.  Woo.  A confidence rejuvenation just when I needed it.

***


But my own personal aggravations and adventures pale next to the tragedy that happened in DC on Tuesday.  Just awful.

In the days that followed, I noted the same discussions that always happen.  Why was she running there?  Women should always carry a phone/mace/gun.  Women should never run alone.

It's a natural impulse - something horrible happens, and we list out all the things we can and will do differently, to reassure ourselves it won't happen to us.  But...the reality is that sometimes shit happens.  

I don't think Martinez made a poor choice in running down 11th Street at 8 pm - in my mind, that's a safer route at that time of day/night than other choices (like the towpath or Rock Creek).  I don't think a running buddy or phone would have made a difference here -  there were people in the immediate area to observe and help her.   As for weapons, based on my understanding of how the attack played out, she wouldn't have had enough time to draw and use one.  

I sometimes wonder - has anyone who advocates running with spray ever actually used it?  I don't mean practicing pulling it out and using it.  I mean you-have-it-with-you-and-something-that-turns-out-to-be-an-animal-in-a-bush-startles-you-and-you-spray-the-bush.  

(the bush did just fine - I missed it entirely.)

Based on my own experience, I believe amateurs carrying a weapon/spray increases bravado, rather than safety.  It's one thing to "practice" using it in a calm setting; it's completely different in real life (or real wildlife, as my experience turned out to be...).   

I run near where Martinez was attacked on occasion, and come within several blocks of it regularly.  I don't intend to change my practices at all in response - I've given a lot of thought as to what I carry when I run (GPS tracker with panic button, but no phone or weapon) and where I run, and I see no reason to change.


Wendy Martinez did absolutely nothing wrong, other than be in the wrong place at exactly the wrong time.  And that's horrible and awful, just like many other things in life.  But not a reason to change one's habits, assuming one's practices are already well thought out.  All we can do is use our best judgment to control the risk, while accepting that a well-lived life is not risk free.  

Dailies

Monday: Yoga and 7.5 "miles" of pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 12 miles, including a workout of 2000,1600, 1200, 2x800 in 7:46, 6:16, 4:36; 3:02, 3:01.  Also injury prevention work and 1250 yards of recovery swimming.

Wednesday: 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:13), yoga, and then 4 miles very easy (8:52) plus drills/strides.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday Upper body weights/core and 10.5 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 10 miles, including a 3 mile tempo (intended to be 5) in 19:39 (6:32/6:32/6:35).  Also injury prevention work and 1100 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 12 miles very easy (9:08), followed by upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:  16 miles progressive, split as first 5 miles averaging 8:55, next 5 averaging 7:39, last 6 averaging 6:50.  Also injury prevention work and 650 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in afternoon.



No comments:

Post a Comment