Sunday, May 26, 2019

Training log - Week ending 5/26/2019

This week was 42 miles of running, 20 "miles" of pool-running and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

I'm racing a road mile on Monday, so no long run for me this weekend.  My plan for Tuesday's workout had been to cruise the 1200s and 800s, and then use the 400s and 200s for turnover.  But...high pollen made for a tough breathing day, and I ended up turning the 400s and 200s into extended form drills instead.  

I would have preferred to have hammered the 400s and 200s, but frying myself isn't great for race prep, so I chose the best option.  

The rest of the week was pretty relaxed, with just a moderate long intervals effort to ensure I got some work in while still saving energy for the mile.  

I'm curious to see how the mile will go - I feel like I'm in very good shape in general, but I'm not sure I'm in my best mile fitness.  We shall see.  I plan to focus on this distance and race it a lot this summer after my June half-marathon.

In other news, I finally got the pathology report back from my colonoscopy.  It took two weeks because I was a low priority, which I didn't mind - it's a very good thing to NOT be the pathologist's urgent case.

The pathology results confirmed what I had already suspected after the colonoscopy - ulcerative colitis.    Not a big surprise - there's an expression in medicine about hoofbeats, horses, and zebras, and when you have a history of auto-immune issues, symptoms like mine, and ulcers in your large intestine, then ulcerative colitis is the Clydesdale in the living room.

The good news, of course, is:

a) I have a mild version of it (as evidenced by the fact that I'm currently running very well with it);

b) since I have a long history of "indeterminate colitis" (doctor-speak for "there's something autoimmune going on in your gut but we're not quite sure what") I've already done the hard work of coordinating with a GI doctor and a nutritionist to figure out the right diet to manage symptoms;

[if you're wondering - I eat a lot of well-cooked rice, corn products, well-cooked veggies, and lean meats - I avoid gluten, oats, lactose, nuts, and legumes like chickpeas and garbanzo beans]

[and, it's also worth noting that while I am absolutely happy to trade notes with others on how to manage GI issues, I am not receptive to suggestions that I try the vegetarian/keto/vegan/paleo/SCD diets, or any other diet based on a best-selling book, interest group, or high-traffic website]

c) there are medications, completely legal under USADA, that can hopefully prevent any progression of the UC and also reduce the chances of another flare like the one I apparently had earlier this year that wrecked my race at Shamrock.  I'm starting a drug called Rowasa on Monday, and hopefully that will work well without side effects.

So we'll see how that goes.  In the meantime, I have a mile to race.

Dailies 

Monday: Yoga and 8.5 "miles" pool-running in the morning. Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: 12 miles, including a track workout of 2x1200, 2x800, 2x400, 2x200 in 4:30, 4:24, 2:56, 2:53, 86, 83, 41, 41, with jogging recovery between 2:20 and 2:30 after the 1200s and 800s; 90 seconds between the two 400s (full recovery for the 200s).  Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling at night. 

Wednesday: 5 miles very easy to yoga (8:59) and then yoga. Followed with another 7 miles very easy (8:43), plus drills and strides, Massage in afternoon. 

Thursday: Upper body weights/core and 7.5 "miles" pool-running in the morning. Foam rolling at night. 

Friday: 10 miles, including a long intervals workout of 3200, 1600 in 12:29 (6:14/6:15) and 6:08 with just less than 5 minutes jogging recovery in between. Followed with two uphill strides and 1000 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling at night. 

Saturday:  8 miles very easy (9:00), plus drills, four uphill strides, DIY yoga, and light upper body weights/core. Foam rolling at night. 

Sunday: 4 "miles" pool-running, 1000 yards swimming, and some DIY yoga.  Plus foam-rolling and an ice bath to perk up the legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment