Sunday, September 1, 2019

Training log - Week ending 9/1/2019

This week was 66 miles of running, 18 "miles" of pool-running and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

I started off the week concerned that I might be digging a hole, based on how tired I felt on last Sunday's long run.  So I made a point of getting extra rest on Sunday and Monday, including avoiding the intense poses in yoga and limiting my Monday pool-run.  

I also resolved to play Tuesday's workout by ear - if I woke up and felt tired or unenthusiastic, I'd just skip it.  As it turned out, I woke and felt pretty good, so I went ahead with the workout, which went surprisingly well.  However, since I had felt so tired on Sunday, I limited the workout to the minimum number of reps, shutting myself down after the first two 800s (we had the option of doing between two and four).  If I had just climbed out of a fatigue hole, I didn't want to risk falling back into it.

The rest of the week went pretty well; Friday's workout was a little harder/faster than it should have been, but not outrageously so.  And Sunday's marathon effort workout went well - my legs were definitely tired at the end (not surprising, since it was my longest run since CIM last December), but the marathon effort miles did not feel challenging or unrealistic.  They were a bit slower than I hope to run in November (I'd like to run sub-2:55 - 6:40 pace); but I also hope to be in better shape in November and have cooler weather.

The coming week will be a pull back, since I have the Fifth Avenue Mile and would like to run well there.  Then it will be full force into marathon training.

Dailies 

Monday: Yoga and 7 "miles" pool-running in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 12 miles, including a track workout of 2x1600, 2x800 in 6:03, 5:54, 2:55, 2:50 (recoveries of 4:55 and 5:05 after the 1600s, 2:48 between the 800s.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 1200 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:00), plus drills and strides, and then yoga.  Followed with another 4.5 miles very easy (8:48).  Massage in afternoon.

Thursday:  Upper body strengthwork/core and 11 "miles" pool-running in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 12.5 miles, including a workout of 3200, 1600 in 12:19 (6:20/5:59) and 5:53.  4:44 recovery between the two.  Followed with 2 short steep hill sprints, leg strengthwork and 1250 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:  8 miles very easy (8:50), plus drills, 4 strides, upper body weights/core, and DIY yoga, and then another 4 miles very easy (8:25).  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 17 miles, including a marathon workout of 4, 3, 2, 1 miles at marathon effort with 1 mile recovery between each.  Split as: 
4 miles in 27:37 (7:01/6:58/6:49/6:49; average 6:54) 
3 miles in 20:12 (6:46/6:44/6:42; average 6:44) 
2 miles in 13:27 (6:40/6:47; average 6:44) 
1 mile in 6:45.

Recovery pace between each was in the high 7:xxs.

Followed with injury prevention work and 550 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in afternoon.



1 comment:

  1. Solid week! You are so in tune with your body and I like how you always play things smart.

    ReplyDelete