Sunday, December 8, 2019

Training log - Week ending 12/8/2019

This week was 60 miles of running, 18 "miles" of pool-running, 1000 yards swimming, and a whole lotta shoulder rehab work -- training log is here.

This was both my last week of recovery from Richmond and my first week of ease_into_it training for One City.  I did a three week recovery from Richmond - week 1 was mostly pool-running with a bit of land-running at the end; week two had me building mileage back up with some aerobic running at the end; and then week three was a return to full mileage, plus gentle re-introduction of workouts.

I started with my favorite half-ass workout on Tuesday.  I jogged down to Georgetown and then did hill repeats up the sidewalks of one of the side streets rising from Water Street up to M Street.  It's about 60-70 seconds up, and then about 2:30 to jog around and back down (I do a loop - up one side street, down the other).

I like this workout as a re-introduction because it's safe.  Uphill running is much safer than flat or downhill running - it's less impact, and the uphill nature forces good form.  70 seconds is too short for my form to fall apart due to fatigue (we often get injured when our form breaks down), and the long recoveries ensure I start each new repeat relatively fresh.

At the same time, 60-70 seconds is just long enough to rediscover what workout suck feels like, and to work through it.  It makes it easier to return to real workouts.

Normally, I'd go with 2-3 weeks of hills and non-track aerobic running before returning to formal workouts.  But, with only 3 months between now and One City, plus the Houston half-marathon in January, I don't have space for that period of training now.  So instead I returned to the track with 3200, 1600 on Friday.  It went just about how I expected.  Slower than I was running a few weeks ago, and mentally challenging.  The first track workout back is always like ripping off a band-aid - you just gotta get it done.

Continuing on with the theme, I ran 14 miles progressive on Sunday.  Marathon effort ended up yielding just over 7 minute pace for me - I could have run faster, but not without departing from marathon effort.  Gotta train where you are, and my legs are still a bit heavy.  But hopefully as I continue to recover from Richmond and rebuild fitness that will change.

Separate from all the above, I got cleared on Tuesday to start swimming laps again (real 25 yard laps - not the short trips back and forth across the diving well that I played with last week).  Surprisingly, swimming was nowhere near as hard as I anticipated, given the shoulder injury and what has essentially been a full month away from swimming.  

I've always had a problem with hunching my shoulders when I am working hard, whether running or in the pool.  The silver lining is that this injury may have broken that habit.  Right after the injury, I couldn't hunch my shoulders (amusingly leading several people to comment on just how relaxed I looked while running, even though I felt awful).  And now, via a lot of work with small weights and bands, I'm learning how to use my shoulders correctly, without hunching.

I may just end up a better runner from all of this, and it's definitely improved my swimming stroke.  What a silver lining.


Dailies

Monday:  Yoga and 8 "miles" pool-running. Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 12 miles, including 8 short hill repeats of 60-70 seconds each, with ~2:30 jogging recovery, followed by leg strengthwork.  PT session for the shoulder in the afternoon; foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:  8 miles very easy (9:12), yoga, 4 miles very easy (8:49), and drills and four hill strides.  Massage in the afternoon.

Thursday: Upper body work and core, and shoulder work, followed by 10 "miles" of pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  12 miles, including a track workout of 3200, 1600 in 12:59 (6:35/6:24) and 6:16 with ~6 minute recovery between the two.  Followed with leg strengthwork and shoulderwork, plus 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 10 miles very easy (9:06), drills and four strides, upper body work, core and shoulder work.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday: 14 miles progressive, split as first 4 miles averaging 8:44, next 6 averaging 7:40, last 4 averaging 7:04 and then leg strengthwork and shoulderwork, plus 500 yards recovery swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment