Monday, May 11, 2020

Training log - Week ending 5/10/2020

This week was 65 miles of running and 10 miles walking -- training log is here.

Standard rhythm, but one that I enjoy. This kind of training gets me really strong and durable, and touches enough on different things to keep me reasonably fit, but I'm not race sharp at all.  

I know from past experience that to race well at the 5K to half distance, I'd need to swap to a more traditional structure of VO2 Max type stuff on Tuesdays (800s and 1200s) and 4-5 mile tempos on Friday (I'd add in some 200s and 400s if I'd be racing miles). To race well at the half/full distance, I'd need to swap in longer long runs and more LT stuff like 4-5 mile tempos and 3x2 miles or 2x3 miles at 10M-half-marathon effort. 

Of course, it's still an open question as to when we'll be able to race again.  I'm watching stuff carefully the next few weeks.  If it looks like it might be possible to race early this fall, then at some point I'll take a down week (lower mileage and no workouts) and then shift to traditional training.  

On the other hand, if it looks like no races until next year, then I'll shift to 3 weeks of traditional intervals and tempos, and then take a rest week, before hopping back into base building.  I really enjoy this training - it makes me strong and I can do it for a long time without burning out.  At the same time, shifting to a brief segment of traditional harder training, followed by a rest week, means that I complete a training cycle and hopefully climb up another notch on the fitness ladder.  Then, when I start training in earnest for winter/spring races, I'll be starting from a slightly higher rung.





Dailies

Monday:  5 mile walk and upperbody weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 12.5 miles on the treadmill, including a mixed workout of 2 short hill repeats (70 seconds at a 4.5 incline), 10 minutes at tempo (6:26), 2 more short hill repeats, 10 minutes at tempo (6:21), and 2 more short hill repeats; 2:30 recovery after each hill or tempo segment.  Followed with injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 7 miles easy on the treadmill (8:47), live streaming yoga, 7 miles easy on the treadmill (8:43); drills and two strides outside.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: Upper body weights/core and 5 mile walk. Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  12.5 miles on the treadmill, including an imitation Iwo Jima workout - 8 repeats of the following:

-2:00 at a strong effort on a 3.0 incline (the Iwo Jima hill averages a 3% incline)
-1:30 easy effort on a 0.5 incline
-0:30 fast on a 0.5 incline
-1:00 easy effort on a 0.5 incline.

Followed with leg strengthwork and recovery yogaFoam rolling at night.

Saturday: 10.5 miles very easy (8:58), drills and four hill strides, and live streaming yoga. Later did upper body weights/core. Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 15.5 miles, including 14 miles progression (split as first 4 averaging 9:06, next 4 averaging 7:38, next 6 averaging 6:44) and a 1.5 mile cooldown.  Followed with leg strengthwork and streaming yoga. Foam rolling at night.




1 comment:

  1. I'm sitting here wondering the same things. With no idea what or when my next race will be, I took an off day today. I haven't had a day off running in about a month and a half, so it was time - and it's not like it interrupted any training! I will reassess after we hear our area's reopening guidance today. I expect it will be minimal change for now, but might help me predict the future!

    ReplyDelete