Sunday, June 12, 2022

Training log - week ending 6/12/2022

This week was 53 miles of running, ~1500 yards of swimming and 18 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

This was my second week on the estrogen gel (Divigel), and it seems to be helping.  I've been less out of breath with each run, and my heart rate while running is dropping.  I noted last week that my ankles were much less stiff within a few days of starting the gel, and that's persisted.

One unpleasant side effect of the gel was poor sleep - I'd fall asleep and sleep all night, but would not feel well rested in the morning.  I called the doctor's office and they confirmed that this was a known side effect that would ease with time, and it has.

I'm keeping a tally of how this estogen replacement therapy works for me, in case it's helpful to other women in the future.  To date:

Week 0: stiff ankles, achy hips, stiff and dead muscles, and heart rate in the 160s for easy runs - asthma fine but get out of breath very easily. 

End of Week 1: ankles much less stiff, as are muscles.  Hips improved.   Breathing still hard and HR elevated.  Very poor sleep.

End of Week 2: ankles great as are muscles.  Hips achy (but could be the deadlifting).  Breathing much improved and has dropped at the end of the second week.  Sleep started improving on Thursday evening, about 10 days after starting the Divigel.

In other news, I officially canceled my flights to Minnesota for Grandma's Marathon.  Even though I'm feeling better, it just doesn't make sense to travel all the way to Duluth at this point.  I was fortunately able to get a full refund for my flight (I suspect this is because they changed the times of my flight after I booked) so the only money I've lost is the entry fee.

Dailies:

Monday:  9 "miles" of pool-running and streaming yoga.   Foam rolling at night.  

Tuesday: 10 miles, including 8 Iwo Jima hills (a bit over 2 minutes powerful uphill, 90 second jog, 45 seconds downhill stride, 60 second jog to bottom).  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.
 
Wednesday: 6.5 miles (10:04), upper body weights/core, 3.5 miles (9:33), and drills/strides. Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 9 "miles" pool-running and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling in evening

Friday: 10 miles, including 2x2K on the track in 9:02 and 8:52 (2:44 recovery) and then six 30 second hard hill repeats up a 6% incline.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 8.5 miles easy (10:10), drills and strides, and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 14.5 miles, including a relaxed fartlek of 9x4 minutes on, 3 minutes off ("on" was at a moderate effort).   Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 meters recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment