Sunday, July 22, 2012

Training log - Week ending 7/22/12


This week was 75 miles of “real running” and 11 “miles” pool running, plus 1500 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here

My mileage total is deceptively high this week.  I usually do a long run on Sunday and then pool-run on Monday, but last week I stayed in the pool on Sunday to protect a bad blister, and then did an easy 7 on Monday, which added 7 miles to my normal weekly total.  Overall workload was about the same.

Lil blue asthma bong thingee
Pretty good week, save for Tuesday’s run.  To be super careful (my calf had been tight on Sunday), I skipped my team’s Tuesday morning hill workout, opting instead for a run around Hains Point with a few segments at half-marathon/marathon pace.  Hah.  Ended up being a horrible struggle.  Mainly because I forgot to prime my new asthma inhaler before using it, meaning that I attempted to run in very high humidity without any drugs.  Bad idea.  Shut it down, jogged home.

Used my inhaler correctly on Friday and Sunday, and things went better, despite the sticky weather.  Humidity will never be my friend, but now I feel like I’m affected a lot less.  I LURVE my little blue asthma bong thingee.

Next week will be a cutback, since I'm racing a track mile on Wednesday night.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, 7 easy miles (7:52 pace), and then some weights work and injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 11 miles, including 2 segments of 2 miles each at marathon pace (6:58 for first, 7:00 for the second).  Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes of easy pool-running.  Floor barre and foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:   In the morning, 12 miles very easy (8:08 pace) and then a yoga class.  Later, did another 5 miles easy (7:46 pace).  Sports massage plus a bit of foam rolling and stretching at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, upper body strengthwork and injury prevention exercises, followed by 35 minutes of easy poolrunning for “3.5 miles” and 1500 yards swimming breathing drills   Foam rolling and stretching at night.

Friday:  In the morning, 13 miles, including a sleep-deprived/sleepwalking tempo workout of 26:08 for 6400m (average pace of 6:35, split as 6:44, 6:34, 6:32, 6:18).   Followed with injury prevention work and 25 minutes of shakeout pool-running.  Pilates and foam rolling in the afternoon.

(The sleep deprivation was because we had bad storms on Thursday night, and I ended up staying up to successfully battle a sewer back-up.)   
 
Saturday:   In the morning, 11 miles easy (8:00 pace).  Upper body strengthwork plus stretching and foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:   In the morning, 16 miles as a progressive long run – averaged 7:35 pace, split as first 5 at 8:26, next 7 at 7:26, final 4 at 6:47.  Followed with injury prevention work and then 30 minutes shakeout pool-running.    Restorative yoga and foamrolling in the afternoon.

1 comment: