Sunday, July 29, 2012

Training log - Week ending 7/29/12


This week was 51 miles of “real running” and 13 “miles” pool running, plus 2500 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.

Big cut back this week, as I raced a mile on Wednesday night (so rested up before).    The mile was simultaneously a) not my best performance time wise, but b) a confidence boost.  I went out hard, and ultimately crashed, but in the process learned that I could run pretty damn fast.  So, I’ll run another, armed with this new info, and increased confidence.

After the mile, a lot of people developed some weird allergic reaction – got sore throats, congestion, and sneezing.  In my case, it ended up evolving into some sort of sinus infection that bugged me for a few days (not totally unsurprising – my new asthma meds predispose me to that sort of thing, unfortunately).   Running didn’t seem to set me back, so I kept running and doing my workouts, but just kept the workouts on the slower side.  I focused on effort (as I always try to do), and didn’t let the fact that I was slower than my norm phase me.

We return to track workouts next week – I’m pretty psyched.  Hopefully this bug will be completely kicked by then.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, some light weights work plus 2000 yards of swimming breathing drills.  6.5 easy miles (8:09 pace) at night, followed by foam rolling.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 4 miles easy (untimed) plus a full set of drills and strides. Followed with injury prevention work and 20 minutes of easy pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:   In the morning, 500 yards of easy swimming drills.  In the evening, 2.5 mile warm-up, drills+strides, and then a mile race in 5:39.

Thursday:   In the morning, upper body strengthwork followed by 60 minutes of easy poolrunning for “6 miles.”   4 miles easy (8:12 pace) plus foam rolling and stretching at night.

Friday:  In the morning, 8 miles, including a tempo workout of 20:12 for 5000m (average pace of 6:31, split as 6:36, 6:29, 6:23, 0:44).  Followed with injury prevention work and 30 minutes of shakeout pool-running.  Pilates and foam rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday:   In the morning, 10 miles easy (8:14 pace).  Upper body strengthwork plus stretching and foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:   In the morning, 14.5 mile progression run – averaged 7:33 pace, split as first 5 at 8:14, next 4 at 7:23, final 5.5 at ~7:00.  Followed with injury prevention work and then 20 minutes shakeout pool-running.    Yoga and foamrolling in the afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh...I got the allergic reaction BS. It has been dogging me since Thursday. Great job on the mile!

    ReplyDelete