Monday, February 18, 2013

Training log - Week ending 2/17/13

This week was 58 miles of “real running” plus 13 “miles” pool running -- training log is here.  
And a bunch of miles (seemed like it) dragging stuff through airports.

Rather weird week.  Sort of recovery, but not really -- though I cut the miles back and rested some, I also had a lot of non-running efforts.  I was scheduled to travel to Chicago on Monday afternoon, meaning that I’d have to do my scheduled track workout in Chicago on Tuesday morning.  With temps in the teens and high winds.  Lovely.  But as it happened, my flight was canceled on Monday, and I was unable to get out of DC until Tuesday morning.  Which had the nice side effect of letting me do a track workout in fantastic weather (though I had to run to catch a flight right after).

Chicago itself was icy and cold (no surprise), and my run on Wednesday was one of the first that I can think of as a real slog.  Just an endless loop of slushy sidewalks next to strip malls, pausing my Garmin from time to time when I had to forge my way around a pile of ice too treacherous to run through.  But got it done.

And, of course, I brought a bit of the weather back to me when I returned to DC.  The forecast for Sunday’s race was a match to the weather that had been in Chicago at the start of the week.  Fortunately, the weather ended up far better.  Still windy and cold, but not horrendous.  The race itself was a bit meh, but oh well.  Better that in a race that I don’t care much about than in my goal race.  And my legs felt like they could go on forever – they just lacked jet propulsion.  Legs that can go and go are good for marathoning, I think.


Monday:   In the morning, 70 minutes of easy pool-running for “7 miles,” followed by injury prevention work and upperbody strength work, plus a bit of foam rolling.  And dragging luggage through DC airports.

Tuesday:  12.5 miles including a track workout of 8x800, splits were 3:00, 2:55, 2:54, 2:56, 2:56, 2:54, 2:53, 2:51.  Followed immediately by more dragging of luggage through DC and Chicago airports.  Did a bit of foam rolling with my travel stick in the evening.

Wednesday:   In the morning, 2.5 miles very easy (8:59 pace) followed by yoga.  Later fit in 10.5 miles easy (8:03).  Then more dragging of luggage through Chicago and DC airports.   Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, 7.5 miles very easy (8:23)  followed by upper body strength training and some injury prevention work.   Foam-rolling at night.

Friday:  In the morning, 7 miles, including a mile pick-up at 6:18 pace.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:   In the morning, 3 miles pool-running plus 500 yards of swimming with a pull buoy.  Foam-rolling and injury prevention work in the afternoon.

Sunday:   In the morning, 4 miles warm-up (was freezing cold and took forever to de-stiffen), followed by a 10K race in 40:23.  Later, did another 8 miles easy, and followed with 30 minutes shakeout pool-running and a lot of foam rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment