Sunday, March 3, 2013

Training log - week ending 3/3/13

This week was 52.5 miles of “real running” plus 10 “miles” pool running -- training log is here.  

First week of taper. Ahhh.... My legs haven't totally freshened up yet, but they're on their way.  Fortunately, last week's calf issues seem to have also subsided.  I ran a cautious set of intervals on Tuesday, and the calf felt totally fine during them.  Afterwards, it tightened up slightly, but then loosened again, and that was the last I felt of it.  Whew!

I had to travel to Westchester County in New York state this week for business.  Luckily, I take the train up, rather than fly, so it's a bit less draining.  I returned to DC on Friday evening, in time to run a 5K race on Saturday.  The race itself was encouraging - I felt like I had no higher gear to bring it home strong and really race it, but my time wasn't horrible, and I wasn't beaten up at all the next day.  I'm not setting PRs at shorter distances, but my legs feel like they can go forever.  I'll take that trade, two weeks out from my marathon.

Focus is now on resting.  After speaking with my coach, I'm keeping my upper body and core strengthwork for another week, but am cutting out the yoga and the leg strengthwork.  Cutting back on the pool-running considerably as well.  Legs need to rest.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, 50 minutes of easy pool-running for “5 miles,” followed by injury prevention work and upperbody strength work.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  13 miles including a track workout of 6x800, splits were 3:01, 2:57, 2:56, 2:56, 2:55, 2:53,  followed by injury prevention work and 20 minutes of shakeout pool-running for "2 miles."  Floor barre and foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:   In the morning, 10.5 miles very easy (8:20 pace) followed by foam rolling.  Also dragged luggage around train stations

Thursday:   In the morning, 7 miles, including a mile pick-up in 6:14.  Also foam rolling.

Friday:  Nothing except foam rolling and dragging luggage around train stations.

Saturday:   In the morning, 3 mile warm-up, 5K race in 19:20, and 1.5 mile cooldown, followed by 15 minutes of shakeout pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday:   14.5 miles, split as 10.5 easy and then 4 at 7:07 pace (trying to lock in 7:10 pace, but couldn't quite do it).  Followed with injury prevention work and 15 minutes shakeout pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

1 comment: