Monday, August 19, 2013

Training log - Week ending 8/18/13

This week was 47 miles of “real running” plus 14 “miles” pool running, and 1000 meters of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.  

I started back up with cautious workouts this week.  For Tuesday's workout, I showed up planning to do 2x1600 at tempo pace, but ended up doing the full workout, keeping most of it between tempo and interval effort, but indulging in "normal" for the last rep.  Friday's run was my first "normal" workout - a four mile tempo.    Not super impressive, but I was happy with the workout, given all the time off and the low mileage.  Tempos are both the workout I see the best results from and the hardest for me, so I was really happy to check this one off. 

My "long run" on the other hand was a bit meh.  Long runs are usually my easiest workout of the week by far.   But for some reason on Sunday 12 miles at easy pace took a lot out of me.  About 15 minutes after finishing, I was fairly tired, as if I had done a progressive 20.  Weird.  It wasn't that hot out, and I carried water with me and hit every water stop.  I ended up deciding that REST was what I needed (big rule of running - if you're in a hole, STOP DIGGING) so I skipped the rest of my normal Sunday routine (yoga, heavy injury prevention work) in lieu of chowing down on my couch watching the Tivo'd World Championships.  By Sunday night I was a bit more perky.

I had friends racing Ironmans (is it Ironmans or Ironmen?) this Sunday; maybe it was sympathetic fatigue (more likely humidity+allergies+out of shape).   In any event, I did sympathetic refueling.

The shoe adventures continue, unfortunately.  I tried running in both the Saucony Ride and the Brooks Ghost this week for my easy runs, but in both shoes my plantar fascia got annoyed in both feet.  Which goes against everything I know.  One would think that more cushioned, higher heel lift shoes would be easier on my feet, but instead it feels like my heels are torqued slightly with each stride and I'm pushing off a lot harder than I normally do.  

I got my feet checked out this morning by ART guy, who told me that I was fine to continue running and doing workouts; he and I also agreed that I'd hold off on experimenting with any more shoes until my feet calm down.  I'm still debating whether to do intervals this week, but I guess I'll make that decision in the morning, based on how everything feels.   On the one hand, I've got someone I really trust encouraging me to do the workout; on the other hand, I've been bitten badly by PF multiple times before.

Two more rules of running: a) don't be a pussy, b) don't be stupid.  The trick is figuring out which rule applies when.


Dailies

Monday:  
In the morning, 50 minutes of pool-running for "5 miles" followed by upper body, core, and injury prevention strengthwork.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 
In the morning, 7.5 miles outside, including a cautious track workout of 2x1600, 2x800 (splits were 6:17, 6:09, 3:02, 2:52 - I did the last one at normal effort), followed with a 30 minute shake out in the pool and injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday
:   In the morning, 9 miles easy (8:04 pace) followed by yoga.  Sports massage at night.

Thursday:  
In the morning, 40 minutes of easy pool-running for "4" miles plus 1000 yards swimming breathing drills, followed by upper body, core, and injury prevention strengthwork.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  
In the morning, 10 miles outside, including a tempo of 6400m in 26:11, split as 6:42, 6:34, 6:31, 6:24), followed by injury prevention work and 20 minutes shakeout pool-runing.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:  
In the morning, 8.5 miles easy (8:24 pace).   Upper body and core strength work plus injury prevention work and foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:  
In the morning, 12 miles (8:00 pace).   Foam rolling in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment