Monday, February 10, 2014

Training log - week ending 2/9/14



This week was 33 miles of running, 4 “miles” on the arc-trainer, 5 “miles” of pool-running and 8,000 yards of swimming  -- training log is here.  

Another week of taking care.  I’m not majorly injured, but that’s because I’m doing what I can to make sure I’m not.  My annoying right foot continues to have a small bit of plantar fasciitis pain.  Plus stiffness/achiness on each side of the heel that is consistent with the beginning of Achilles tendonitis at the insertion point (where the Achilles ties into the heel).  Plus achiness and tightness in the posterior tibialis.

So basically all over the right foot.  I got in to see my PT on Monday, and he confirmed that my stability in my right foot was all off and the ankle was locking up.  Basically the joint gets out of alignment and then it starts bending in a way slightly different from how it’s supposed to.  Not necessarily a huge problem if you’re just walking.  But much more of a problem when marathon training and taking large numbers of repeated steps.

Part of this can be traced back to the fact that I fell off the wagon a bit on my ankle strengthening exercises the past few months.  In my defense, I don’t have unlimited time (despite what one might conclude from this blog…) and so adding in a ton of hamstring/glute exercises meant that my battery of one legged balance/ankle band/eccentric dip/etc exercises got cut back.

So now, I’m adding them back in.  Marathon training is on hold, though not cancelled.  My best chance of making it to Boston is to forget completely about Boston for the moment, and focus on getting well.  Which involves plenty of rehab exercises, PT,  and cutting back on the running.  I’m not cutting the running out entirely – that wouldn’t do my ankle any favors (I need to keep some “load” on the tendons).  But I’ve cut my mileage in half, and am avoiding fast running and long runs.  While balancing on one foot as much as possible.  And also not using this as an excuse to slack off on hamstring exercises.

I’m supplementing some with cross-training, but I am a bit limited – too much pool-running will aggravate the hamstring; too much arc-trainer may aggravate the ankle.  Swimming’s great, but not all that running specific.  But it’s what I can do.

As it turned out, I also ended up getting sick this week.  Nothing major, just a 12 hour bug that knocked me out for part of Thursday.  In a sense, the timing was perfect – if you’re gonna take time off for injury, better to get the headcold over and done with at the same time.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, injury rehab work, 2.5 miles easy (8:36) to check out foot, followed by 40 minutes on the arc-trainer (count as “4 miles”),  and upper body weights.   

Tuesday:  In the morning, injury rehab work and 3500 yards in the pool, including a workout of 1000 yards continuous (17:48, split as 8:57/8:51) before doing 10x100 on 2:00 (1:41.50, 1:41.28, 1:41.55, 1:40.07, 1:40.04, 1:39.29, 1:39.71, 1:38.04, 1:36.91, 1:36.99).  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:   Injury rehab work, upper body strengthwork and  10 miles easy outside (8:33 pace).  Massage at night.

Thursday:   Sick.  In the morning, injury rehab work.  4 miles easy early afternoon when I was feeling better.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  In the morning, injury rehab work and 30 minutes easy pool-running for “3 miles”.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:   In the morning, injury rehab work, 7 miles easy outside (8:35 pace), 20 minutes easy pool-running and 1500 yards of swimming.  Foam-rolling  in the afternoon.

Sunday:   In the morning, injury rehab work, 10 miles outside (8:27 pace).  In the afternoon, 3000 yards of swimming, including a set of 6x200 on 4:00 (my fourth rep was interrupted by about 7 kids who decided to hop into my lane and start playing, so ended up being 2x3x200 in 3:33.40, 3:32.42, 3:32.99, interrupt, 3:3x, 3:33.38, 3:29.57).  Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment