Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Training log - Week ending 4/27/14



This week was 44 miles of running and 11,000 yards of swimming  -- training log is here.  

Well…and this is where weekly documentation of one’s training comes in handy.  You can notice trends and stuff – for example, the trend I have here of almost every day being a “medium day”, with a bit of running, a bit of yoga, and a bit of swimming.  Bad. 

Proper training is an optimized mix of harder days and easier days.  Balanced variation, not monotony.  If I keep this up, I may get myself overtrained and stale.  And I’m not even training for anything!  Ridiculous.  I think I’ve gotten into this pattern because I was using yoga and swimming to sub for running.  And now I added the running back in, but didn’t cut out the other stuff.  And, since I’m not doing track workouts, I’m also getting bored.   Hence adding a lot of other stuff to my schedule.

So that’s getting fixed.  Not that I’m never going to have a hard day where I run and swim and do yoga, but it’s not gonna be every day.

This pattern will be easier to fix because I’ve got a scheduled cutback this week.  Some time ago, I scheduled a third PRP appointment for the morning of May 1 to target my right groin – where my adductor and abdominal muscle attach. I’ve had a longstanding issue of a stabbing pain in my right groin when I run fast downhill (I’ve managed it by minimizing running fast downhill).  The hip MRI I got last fall indicated “[c]hronic degeneration of the right adductor-rectus abdominus aponeurosis with small focal tear…possibly sub-acute to chronic…associated chronic right osteitis pubis” – and I made a note at that time to get some PRP injections for it at some point in the future. 

It’s not the type of thing that justifies any sort of surgical intervention at this point - surgery can make stuff worse as well as better, and it’s not bad enough at this time to justify the risk.  Still my life would be significantly happier if I didn’t have it, so I might as well try PRP, and now’s as good a time as any.  Since I’m going in for another round, we’re also going to try some shots in my lumbar region – the MRIs have always come back clean for that area, but my “presentation” points to an issue with the nerves near L4/L5.  So we’ll give that a try also.  And then, of course, 48 hours rest.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, 3.5 miles easy (8:25) and a yoga class.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  In the morning, 6 miles easy (8:11 pace), and then 2500 yards of swimming, including a descending set of 300/250/200/150/100/50 on the 2:00 base, followed by 7x50 on 70 seconds (splits were 5:20.07, 4;25,40, 3:34.24, 2:40.10, 1:46.00, 51.17, 51.76, 51.77, 49.38, 48.85, 48.89, 48.85, 48.90).  Took a yoga class in the afternoon and did some foam rolling.

Wednesday:  In the morning, 4 miles easy (8:30 pace) and then a yoga class.  Later did another 6 miles (8:11 pace).  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, 3.5 (8:09) miles easy and a yoga class; later did another 3.5 miles (7:54).  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  In the morning, 2750 yards of swimming, followed by yoga.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday:   In the morning, 10.5 miles (8:02 pace) and then 1750 yards of swimming.   Foam-rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:   In the morning, 7 miles easy (8:11), followed by a yoga class.  Later swam 2500 yards.  Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment