Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Training log - Week ending 5/17/15

This week was 45 miles of running, 6 "miles" of pool-running, and 4000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

This was a cut back week, as I raced a tune-up half marathon.  It was also a week of fail, as first my beloved fairly new Garmin 920 (yes, that one) and then my back-up Garmin 910 decided to crash.  Followed by the news that my much-loved car had finally reached the point where maintenance/repairs exceeded the value of the car.  All within the space of 36 hours.

My back-up Garmin failed during the first rep of my track workout, raising the runner's ultimate existential question - did a workout actually happen if it wasn't documented?  Fortunately for those who hang upon every detail of my track workouts, my coach was calling out the splits, so I just remembered what those were, and used google maps to guess the distance of my cooldown. 

[*obvious question: why is someone who normally runs with her watch face blanked so dependant on her Garmin?  Many reasons.  I like to have the information for after the fact, especially for racing, so I can prove that I ran the full course if the timing mats miss me (which has happened).   I like to use the heart-rate limit to keep a ceiling on my easy runs.  I like to have a good idea of how far I've run.  And I like covering the tan line on my wrist.

[Plus, once you've swum with a Garmin counting your laps, you'll never go back.  Especially if you never were a real swimmer.  Digression finis.]

By Friday, Garmin had shipped me a free replacement 920, which I christened in Saturday's race (worked beautifully).  The car was a bit harder and more costly to replace.  I ended up visiting three different dealerships to test drive four different cars, all of which were similar - "pre-owned" Mercedes GLK350s dating between 2011 and 2013.  I finally settled on this beauty. It matches both my Garmin and my Takumi Sen racing flats.  So that's nice.

Two more weeks hard training, and then I start tapering.

Dailies

Monday:   4 "miles" pool-running plus yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  12 miles, including a workout of 2x1200, 800 with an extra 800 at the end in 4:33, 3:00, 4:30, 2:58, 2:56; followed by 1500 yards swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 7.5 miles very easy (9:04 pace) plus drills and strides.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:   6 miles mostly easy, but with a fartlek of 4x90 seconds on, 60 seconds off.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  3.5 miles very easy (8:51), plus drills+strides.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:   ~3 miles warm-up and then a half-marathon in 1:32:06.  2 "miles" recovery pool-running and foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:  Yoga and 2500 yards easy swimming in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment