Monday, August 10, 2015

Training log - Week ending 8/09/15

This week was 74 miles of running, 9 "miles" of pool-running and 5000 yards of swimming  -- training log is here.

This was my first official week of marathon training, and also a return to the track, which just reopened after being closed for the summer for construction.

The first workout back is always a bit like ripping a band-aid off, and this one was no exception.  After several weeks of cruise intervals and hill repeats, running fast on the track on Tuesday felt strange, and my legs stayed asleep until halfway through the second 1600.  Of course, part of this was because I got started warming up a bit late, and so I didn't do any drills or strides before the workout - when you're not limbered up, the first few reps will be...interesting.   But part was also the adjustment.  I ended up breaking my own rule and doing some 200m repeats just to get the legs turning over (I wanted to do 400s, coach told me 200s, we compromised with 200s at 400 repeat pace).

Similarly, Friday's tempo was an adjustment.  I find continuous tempos to be mentally challenging, and doing them in circles on the tracks adds to the difficulty.    I've learned that if I'm physically straining during a tempo, I'm running it too hard.  Mental struggle is all part of the workout, though.  But I got it done and was satisfied with the workout.

This coming week will be a cutback, as I'm racing a 5K on Sunday as a rustbuster.  After four weeks at 70-75 miles per week, it's time for a down week, so this works perfectly.  Then I'll bump the mileage back up the week after.

In the coming weeks, I'll also be working on trying to keep my interval workouts restrained so that I can max out the reps.  I know from past experience that I get my biggest return from a higher volume of controlled intensity.  Eight reps of 800m at 3:05 does a lot more for me than six reps at 2:55.  I just need to remember that when I actually do the workout.



Dailies

Monday:   Yoga, some upperbody strengthwork and injury prevention work, and 5 "miles" easy pool-running in the morning; 2 "miles" easy pool-running and foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  13.5 miles, including 2x (1600, 800) with half distance recovery (6:18, 3:00, 6:11, 2:52), followed by 4x200 with equal distance recovery (43, 40, 41, 40).  Then did some injury prevention work and 1400 yards easy swimming.  Foam rolling in evening.

Wednesday: 8.5 miles very easy (9:25), followed by a yoga class and then another 5.5 miles very easy (9:19), followed by drills and 2 hill sprints.   2 "miles" easy pool-running and a massage in the evening.

Thursday:   5 miles very easy (9:16), followed by a yoga class.  Later, another 4.5 miles very easy (9:03) with drills and 4 strides, and some upperbody strengthwork and injury prevention work,.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  11 miles, including an 8K track tempo in 33:48 (6:52/6:49/6:45/6:45/6:37).   Followed with some injury prevention work and 2100 yards easy swimming.    Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:  10 miles very easy (9:16) plus drills and four hill sprints.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:  16 miles progressive, split as first 3 at 9:26; next 4 at 8:42; next 4 at 7:56; last 5 at 7:02.  Followed with some injury prevention work and a yoga class.  1500 yards easy swimming and foam rolling in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment