Sunday, April 30, 2017

Training log - Week ending 4/30/17

This week was 54 miles of running,  15 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

I ended up skipping the Tuesday workout in favor of easy running with a friend.  My coach had designated the workout optional for anyone who had raced Pike's Peek on Sunday (to be fair, we're all adults who do this for fun - so all workouts are technically optional).  I might have been fine to do the workout in other circumstances, but I was slightly tired from non-running-life-stuff going into the 10K, and then compounded the fatigue by helping a friend move on Sunday afternoon.  As of Monday afternoon I was wiped, and a Tuesday morning workout would have done more harm then good.  First rule of training - if you're sliding into a hole, reach for a ladder, not a shovel.

By Friday I was feeling recovered, so I headed out for tempo.  The air was a bit thick and humid, so I started out conservatively.  My coach was absent (he had gone with some of my teammates to the US Half-Marathon Championships) so I didn't have him calling out splits each lap.  After the first four laps, I checked the split and was pleasantly surprised that what felt like a super cautious 6:4x was actually 6:28.  And that held true for the rest of the tempo.  All of which is a good sign for the Broad Street 10 Miler this coming Sunday, where I hope to break 65 minutes.


Dailies 

Monday: In the morning, yoga and 6 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday
: In the morning, 10 miles easy (9:12) with drills and strides, followed by upper body weights and core.  Foam roller at night.

Wednesday:  In the morning, 7 miles (9:11) to yoga, yoga, and then another 5 miles (9:13), followed by drills and strides.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: In the morning, upper body weights/core and 9 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: In the morning, 10 miles including a 4 mile tempo in 25:32 (6:28/6:28/6:24/6:12).  Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday:  In the morning, 10 miles very easy (8:52) with drills and strides.  Later that morning I did upper body weights plus core and injury prevention work.  Foam rolling in the evening.

Sunday: In the morning, 12 miles progressive, split as first 4 at 8:43, next 4 at 7:50, last 4 at 6:56.  Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.   Foam rolling in the evening.

1 comment:

  1. Nice week - really strong progression run on Sunday, particularly given the humidity. "If you're sliding into a hole, reach for a ladder, not a shovel." Exactly this! Over the past few years, I've discovered that letting the fitness come to you rather than chasing it is the best approach. A bit abstract, but it's a mindset that has kept me relaxed about training.

    ReplyDelete